Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #71
electricjw
Banned

vCash: 500
OCD? Maybe, just sounds like he is scared.

....of losing his belt.

electricjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #72
ajmonsta
Banned

It doesn't really matter if he literally has OCD or not. I don't know why people are arguing about that. It's obvious tho that his constant pursuit for perfection has burned him out and he needed a break. Props to the greatest fighter of all time.

ajmonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #73
glowworm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmonsta View Post
Props to the greatest fighter of all time.
What does Fedor have to do with this?

glowworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #74
NHB7

People need to stop debating whether or not he has a legitimate diagnosis of OCD on here. Whether or not he has legitimate OCD, he is nonetheless describing that he was experience an incredibly high level of pressure and stress and he is certainly describing experiencing anxiety in the very least in the form of intrusive, unwanted and obsessive thoughts. And I'm happy for GSP that he decided to take time away, if not walk away permanently, to focus on his own health and happiness. I'm sad to see him away from the sport, because there aren't many if any that can fill his shoes in terms of being as great and as humble as he was.

NHB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #75
Marce Porter

Purple Belt

I saw a True Life episode featuring people with OCD. This isn't OCD. People with OCD have very bizarre "rituals" that occupy a great deal of their time and cause unimaginable stress.

A guy with OCD wouldn't be able to become World Champion for several years.

"Chael Sonnen typically walks around at 250 pounds, shredded."
-Mike Dolce
Marce Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #76
ufc pride 04
Banned

People use OCD as some sort of personality disorder and don't really know what it is. He may have OCD or he may have obsessive personality disorder and is just classifying it incorrectly.

I've suffered from actual OCD, and still do to a degree I believe, and believe me what I say it's pretty much hell in your mind. It like as if your mind got stuck in a 'gear' and you get repeating thoughts constantly. That happened for me for a few months a decade ago or so, until I went to the doctor, told him about depression (which was true as well of course in that hell) , but the real reason was because of a 'thought loop' that would constantly repeat in my head. That was serious hell. The SSRI and ERT therapy I was doing for myself basically broke it, and that phase was over. There are some seriously bad people who have it for years. I read accounts in these books of things like a lady who saw some advertising on one of those highway road signs and it was stuck in her head for years and agonized over thinking it over and over again, then that seeps into her life avoiding going outside to not see it, etc.

I've had general OCD as a kid and really even my whole life, even though I've never really thought about it like that until I got older. I remember asking my mom to resign some signature she did for something because it wasn't in the lines enough. Then I would collect basketball cards and pick at the edges if they weren't perfect and end up destroying the card. I remember having and insert card mailed to me once and ended up destroying it like 30 minutes after I got it! LOL. That happened a lot.

I still have a little of that going on, mostly with electronics and things in my mind that aren't in 'perfect' condition that I consider something I want to keep. Staying busy with work kind of keeps me out of obsessing too much, but its still there a bit.

Hopefully whatever GSP has he gets help. One thing about OCD is it's a bitch, and idle time really only makes it worse. The only real way to fight it is to force yourself to do what you fear. Make yourself repeat the thoughts you don't want until you're no longer anxious about them and don't read into them, and they just go away because you don't care if they're around or not.

Anyway, that's my experience, good luck to GSP. Only he knows whats going on in his mind but just like a fight - he can combat it.

ufc pride 04 is offline   Reply With Quote