Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
SocraticMethod

Red Belt

vCash: 500
I haven't been following WMMA for that long so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but isn't it possible that WBW is "deeper" simply because it's the only UFC division and was the marquee and then only SF division before that, thus many would-be 125ers and maybe even a couple would-be 145ers have gone to 135? And if so, wouldn't it be just as likely that some 125ers will go down to 115 and some 105ers might go up to make 115 just as deep if not deeper in short order?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
DocK

Orange Belt

More importantly, how many 115 lb females would it take to beat Cain?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
BJ@LW&WW

Red Belt

vCash: 50
ur right, theyre both equally talentless.

BJ@LW&WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
BigMuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticMethod View Post
I haven't been following WMMA for that long so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but isn't it possible that WBW is "deeper" simply because it's the only UFC division and was the marquee and then only SF division before that, thus many would-be 125ers and maybe even a couple would-be 145ers have gone to 135? And if so, wouldn't it be just as likely that some 125ers will go down to 115 and some 105ers might go up to make 115 just as deep if not deeper in short order?
Certainly this is possible in the future, but the prevalent 'myth' is that it's currently 'much' deeper.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Hotei

Purple Belt

i copy here a reply from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO Fire View Post
at least the 115 girls are way better than the 135 girls
are they?
Strikers: Nakamoto, Holmes
Grapplers: Ronda, McMann
Solid veterans: Tate, Kaufman, Davis, Baszler

Can you find equal comparisons, skill-wise and career-wise, in the 115 division?

Don't get me wrong, Strawweights are the hottest thing in WMMA right now but we have to be realistic, most of them are still prospects (Torres, Inoue, Namajunas, Hyatt, JoJo in MMA) and there are only a couple of top10s with more than 10 wins.

Let's see how the "way better" goes after they have passed through the cheesy crap of TUF and after they start fighting once in a while in a card full of men with no buzz whatsoever around and the fear of being cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenthorn View Post
And also there are many intriguing and likeable characters in the group. As soon as they get these women on TV, people are going to love them.
I believe the opposite.
They are so intriguing because they are fresh, unknown and because Invicta let them free to express themselves the way they wanted. Once you put them in a cheap reality show seeking drama and then in the Zuffa world the magic will disappear.
Just my opinion (and my taste) though.

Hotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
SocraticMethod

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMuffler View Post
Certainly this is possible in the future, but the prevalent 'myth' is that it's currently 'much' deeper.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't think that POV (or myth as you call it) necessarily came about as a way to shit on the 135-pound division. I remember seeing that posted a lot in response to WMMA haters saying "there's already one division without enough talent now we're going to have two?" in regard to news of 115 coming to the UFC. And one of the responses that became the common response was "Actually, 115 is deeper than 135."

For the record, I'm not saying I agree with one side or the other: I like WMMA, but I don't follow it nearly closely enough to give any insight as to the depth of divisions outside the UFC. I'm looking forward to that TUF, though.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
KAZSoliloquy
3 5345H3115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocK View Post
More importantly, how many 115 lb females would it take to beat Cain?
30. With baseball bats.

LAHWF
The San Cantonio Spurs
Kanye West
Blowjobs
Lakutis
Javier Fortuna
KAZSoliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote