Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #121
Ippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypingOnTRT View Post
So Renan Barao is more marketable than Faber???? There is a reason that Faber coached TUF and is in commercials for Metro PCS and K-Swiss. That reason is that Faber (not Barao) is EXTREMELY MARKETABLE. People (myself included) love to get behind that guy. Unfortunately, the guy who is the best bantamweight in the world (1) doesn't speak English (2) looks like count Dracula (3) cannot get a PPV buy to save his life despite an infinite win streak.......Dana would LOVE to see Faber beat Barao as it would be great for business. If anything, your example provides evidence that the sport is fair and not subject to some Zuffa conspiracy.
Saved me the trouble of pointing out the flaw in that reasoning.

Ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #122
nick1990

Green Belt

What was he doing at the end of the 1st of Hendo Vs Rua? Did they not hear the bell or was he legit trying to wave off the fight then change his mind?

nick1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #123
eseseses681

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypingOnTRT View Post
So Renan Barao is more marketable than Faber???? There is a reason that Faber coached TUF and is in commercials for Metro PCS and K-Swiss. That reason is that Faber (not Barao) is EXTREMELY MARKETABLE. People (myself included) love to get behind that guy. Unfortunately, the guy who is the best bantamweight in the world (1) doesn't speak English (2) looks like count Dracula (3) cannot get a PPV buy to save his life despite an infinite win streak.......Dana would LOVE to see Faber beat Barao as it would be great for business. If anything, your example provides evidence that the sport is fair and not subject to some Zuffa conspiracy.
I already explained that. The champion's dollar is always greater than the challenger's dollar, especially after they've defended the title, and the UFC have learned in recent years to never risk losing that for the sake of potentially having a more profitable champion. They'd get too much shit if they only gave their champions gimme matches, though, and doing that would hurt their image, so they've figured out a way around it by paying off the referees.

Also, Faber's not nearly as popular as you're making him out to be. There's a reason that his season of TUF was the lowest rated one until TUF: "Friday night death slot" came along, and those UFC-channel commercials are worthless in terms of overall popularity. The UFC's been notoriously stringent when it comes to sponsorships-- Nate Quarry talked about this a month ago, as has Rampage in recent times-- and won't let their fighters do anything which doesn't fit their stylistic-mold or feature in their list of approved-sponsorships. That Rampage Reebok commercial's been seen by more people than any UFC-contracted fighter's commercial during the recent Fight Night event on Fox Sports 2 has been, and Rampage even said that him not being allowed to do those kinds of things are one of the main reasons he left the UFC. If anything, those commercials more serve to promote the idea that their fighters are hugely popular amongst the people who watch them, thereby improving the UFC-brand. It says next to nothing about the fighters level of profitability themselves.
They also have put Barao in commercials, if that really matters to you:

eseseses681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #124
Karelinator
Bulgarian pursuittt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1990 View Post
What was he doing at the end of the 1st of Hendo Vs Rua? Did they not hear the bell or was he legit trying to wave off the fight then change his mind?
Looked like that.

I like Herb and all, but he's NOT in good mindset recently.

Seems nervous as hell and makes dumb calls.

Should probably take some break from refing big fights....

Cogito ergo bum.
Karelinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #125
nick1990

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelinator View Post
Looked like that.

I like Herb and all, but he's NOT in good mindset recently.

Seems nervous as hell and makes dumb calls.

Should probably take some break from refing big fights....
Agreed, does anyone know what fight it started at? Maybe he should think about a trip to a sports psychologist or something to help with dealing with the pressure.

nick1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #126
tjumper78

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
i thought not every shot was to the back of the head.
hendo tried to punch the side of the head but shogun ducked and hendo ended up hitting the back of the had a few times, then he stopped and said something to herb dean.

fatality by pigeon wing.
tjumper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #127
CinemaKingdom

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex48x View Post
Gotta be one of the worse refs out there. Guy does nothing but shit as of late.
He has always been terrible and inconstant, people are just now starting to see it.

Twitter: @JiuJitsu34
CinemaKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #128
1strikeclothing

Black Belt

Herb's reffing was good last night. I was scared he was going to stop it in the 1st round.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1strike_mma/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

PM for http://www.virusintl.com/index.html discounts.
1strikeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #129
hypocalking

Gold Belt

Truly disgusting.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #130
overeem chin

White Belt

Herb Dean is very inconsistent (Herb corrupt ref?)

he showcased his inability to judge when a fight should be stopped multiple times in this 1 fight

1st we have Hendo rocked taking multiple shots not protecting himself only wrestling to get to his feet which i thought was good.

then we have Shogun rocked hard and holding on to a leg taking shots to the back of the head for 3 seconds and herb stops the fight....wtf?

I think hes very trigger happy and wouldnt be surpised if he has something invested in the big fights he refs. Seems odd how he can let someone get many chances and stops fights ASAP

Rosenthal was a drug dealer & who was one of the best. Could Herb be a gambler behind the scenes?

overeem chin is offline   Reply With Quote