Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #31
Kiwi Tricker

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
You can drink, if you drink responsibly. Nothing wrong with a quiet couple every now and then, but going out and getting shit-faced each weekend on Friday and Saturday nights won't do you any favours. Have fun, but don't be a muppet.

Blog: http://fightrunlift.blogspot.co.nz
Kiwi Tricker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #32
fightingrabbit

Black Belt

Fucks with your recovery.

fightingrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #33
MixMartialFarts

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karatekakid View Post
Thanks for a lot of the advice guys. Ya that's how I've been feeling. I really think I'm gonna cut back. Lol I already have people hounding at me cause I don't go and drink EVERY weekend anymore, but honestly I'd rather train.

Another thing. A lot of people mentioned that I'm better off smoking. What do you mean by that? Smoking weed? I thought smoking in general was just bad for your cardio, endurance, lung capacity, and all that stuff. Just kinda curious.
Despite what some ppl will tell you smoking weed IS BAD for your lungs and cardio. Smoking 1 joint is equivalent to smoking like 30 cigarettes. Overall I'd say alcohol is much worse for your body but smoking weed on the weekends will negatively effect your lungs and your gonna need those if you wanna fight.

TS you need to ask yourself what your goals are. If you want to take a serious shot at making a living as a professional fighter and think you have the dedication and drive to make that happen your going to have to make some sacrifices. There's a lot of good guys out there that are training their asses off but will never be in the UFC. Your gonna have to do all the little things that makes you just a tiny bet better then those guys. If your long term goal is to make it to one of the bigger organizations I'd suggest getting fucked up once maybe twice a year on special occasions and even then you better be sure you don't have a fight coming up.

If you just wanna have a few fights cause you love the sport but will be supporting yourself with a full time job, as long as you still take your training seriously I'd say drinking moderately on the weekends is fine. If you've got a fight coming up though I'd still cut out drinking altogether about 5 weeks from the fight. Just go on a bender once it's over.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #34
Karatekakid

Yellow Belt

Ya thanks man. We'll see. I've competed and placed in the sparring portion of a lot of karate tournaments and was even disqualified once for excessive contact to my opponents face. Lol this led me to MMA and I've loved it. Ya I think a bit of change in my lifestyle might be in order. I think it will depend on how well I'll do as an amateur as well because I do intend on going to grad school next yea regardless.

Karatekakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
angliaboy

White Belt

I didn't think it was worth making a new thread for what was almost essentially the same question but how does eating a bit of junk food over the weekend affect you. I never drink but sometimes eat rubbish that i shouldn't when it comes to the weekend and wonder how bad it would affect your training

I don't fight professionally just for hobby but still keen to keep in good shape

angliaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #36
Eric Ott

White Belt

I stop drinking 4 weeks out. Other than that I'll have maybe 4 drinks a week only if I'm not training the next morning. Make sure to stay hydrated as well.

Eric Ott is offline   Reply With Quote