Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
IMWarrior

White Belt

vCash: 500
Your Opinion Appreciated

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to training in M.M.A. I am obsessed with this great sport! I spend hours on end watching different fights and trawling the web looking at stats.

I have found myself developing a real interest in different techniques etc.

I have a couple of questions which I would like peoples opinions on.

I know that these may have already been asked but I can't seem to find definite answers using the search function.

I see that there are widely mixed opinions on what technique or base is the most important to learn. In my research I see that Wrestling/Grappling is considered the most important.

1. In your opinion what sub technique of wrestling/grappling is the most important to learn? Would takedown defense count in this area?

2. I have been searching for these stats for a long time. Does anyone know what % of MMA fights are ended after a takedown? From G n P or submissions?

I want to create my own little report (As I am sad like that!) and Takedown defense seems a very important aspect.

I am unsure how to create a poll so have just done this thread.

Thanks

IMWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Marbig

Purple Belt

vCash: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWarrior View Post
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to training in M.M.A. I am obsessed with this great sport! I spend hours on end watching different fights and trawling the web looking at stats.

I have found myself developing a real interest in different techniques etc.

I have a couple of questions which I would like peoples opinions on.

I know that these may have already been asked but I can't seem to find definite answers using the search function.

I see that there are widely mixed opinions on what technique or base is the most important to learn. In my research I see that Wrestling/Grappling is considered the most important.

1. In your opinion what sub technique of wrestling/grappling is the most important to learn? Would takedown defense count in this area?

2. I have been searching for these stats for a long time. Does anyone know what % of MMA fights are ended after a takedown? From G n P or submissions?

I want to create my own little report (As I am sad like that!) and Takedown defense seems a very important aspect.

I am unsure how to create a poll so have just done this thread.

Thanks
Don't know about 2 but there is no definite answer for 1. Under the current MMA rules, wrestling has an advantage simply due to the fact that submission attempts and strikes from the bottom don't score as much point as pinning someone down in top position.

As for best submission, again, it depends on the situation (e.g. if an opponent unconsciously leaving his/her arm out then obviously you take advantage of that etc.). However, the most common submissions in MMA would have to be armbar, rear naked choke, triangle and no gi collar chokes.

Marbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
BillDance2293

White Belt

Hi

I'm new to this site, but not mma. As we've seen mma evolve its become clear that being a one trick pony usually doesn't make an athlete very successful, instead being adept at all aspects is what advances most guys the furthest.. that being said its always best to begin training where you feel strongest, recognizing your weaknesses and patching them up along the way. That's my two cents.

BillDance2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
ligthandshadow

Black Belt

Honestly, train everything with an emphasis on cardio and see what you are good at.

Get over a fear of being hit and get over being winded within five minutes.

It would be easy for me to say something else as a base, but we can't live vicariously through other athletes.

You really want to just drill fundamentals and focus on getting in shape, then see what you enjoy.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Combatjunkie33

White Belt

vCash: 550
Id have to say freestyle wrestling would be a the best base because youll learn things from a sort of clinch, throws, on the mat grappling and also leg attacks and top control to along with the ability to dictate where the fight takes place and its also easier to learn striking then wrestling, At least for me anyway, Id also say working on your cardio is very important, and there is a "feeling" I don't now if its fear or what but either way you will get it when first starting to strike so getting over that is important. Also controlling nerves is big thing in competition because if you don't it will affect your cardio and how your body acts and reacts.

Combatjunkie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Mr Boogaloo

Red Belt

maybe when you have your information together you could draw a graph?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Mr Boogaloo

Red Belt

poindexter

Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Mr Boogaloo

Red Belt

just joking, welcome to the board

+3 that was fun