Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #91
Got GOAT

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Ducking? That is a bit of a stretch. Him not wanting to fight Alex in Europe is understandable since he was making weight at 205 for the first time and had trouble in the past doing it. I like both guys and just want to see DC fight a Top 5 or Top 10 LHW before getting his shot. Gus and DC are, imo, the two best shots to dethrone Jones (assuming he does beat Glover like everybody seems to be 100% sure he will). Either man (DC & Gus) has the skill set to do it.

I think the reason DC settled on 'stepping down' and wishing Gus luck in his next title shot is because he knows that that's exactly what the UFC wants, which is, to make a huge $ making rematch. He probably also feels that Gus deserves it after already arguably beating Jones the first time around and after just freshly walking through Manuwa (who really could beat a handful of some of the Top 10 guys at LHW). He also knows that his time will come, as he said, and that the UFC wants, even needs to make this rematch while it's still so highly in demand. Big rematches like this one are all about timing.

What I do find to be a bit lame though (for lack of a better word atm) is that DC was rooting for Manuwa to beat Gus. I was hoping he'd be impartial or even be rooting for Gustafsson so they could eventually have a showdown that would garner a good deal of interest (which the UFC needs more than ever right now). Wanting the #1 contender to be eliminated is something that most fighters would love so they can just step in and either have an easier match-up to get their title shot or even get a title shot based off of that right off the bat. The tweet he sent Jon was a bit desperate. Though, he was being sarcastic in certain parts of it with the excessive 'bro' and 'please brother' talk etc. While it was somewhat funny, it did still come off as desperate and yeah even somewhat humiliating.

1-0 in account bets
2-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #92
Ughugh

Brown Belt

Fine then. Lets stick to the confirmed facts and leave it that:

He could have fought him in europe. There was an opening for him to fight him in the states. He didn't act on it. He considered training with Manuwa so he could beat Alex. He rooted for Manuwa. He begged Jon for a title shot. And he congratulated Alex on getting his title shot instead of calling him out. When Alex was in his position he called out Machida.

All facts, no speculation.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #93
Got GOAT

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughugh View Post
Fine then. Lets stick to the confirmed facts and leave it that:

He could have fought him in europe. There was an opening for him to fight him in the states. He didn't act on it. He considered training with Manuwa so he could beat Alex. He rooted for Manuwa. He begged Jon for a title shot. And he congratulated Alex on getting his title shot instead of calling him out. When Alex was in his position he called out Machida.

All facts, no speculation.
He considered training with Manuwa to beat Alex? That I didn't know. Did he say this before or after their fight? If Manuwa was able to trouble him (with more than just some hard leg kicks and a body shot) then I can see why it'd make sense.

Honestly, what bothers me the most (which we all just now found out) is that DC now wants to wait it out and fight for the title after Alex fights the winner of Jones and Glover. He may not be fighting for a long time if that's the case and there's absolutely no reason why he won't take a Top 10 (or even fringe 10) fight in between. That's not a smart move and ring rust could haunt him. Not to mention we don't know what his cardio will look like at 205.

1-0 in account bets
2-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #94
Ughugh

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
He considered training with Manuwa to beat Alex? That I didn't know. Did he say this before or after their fight? If Manuwa was able to trouble him (with more than just some hard leg kicks and a body shot) then I can see why it'd make sense.
Before the fight. He was hoping Manuwa (not he himself) would stop Alex but his coaches was against it because they were afraid he'd might face Manuwa in the future so it never materialized.