Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Z4**
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptard1985 View Post
I dont think they did this last week for the Bendo-Gil fight
Nothing to be highlighted. Even the proposal.

Z4** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
PabloZed

Brown Belt

Not only did ESPN show highlights at the top of the show, it also featured an interview with Jones and an ESPN reporter. That is definitely a first.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecuse View Post
I agree it's good for opponents and the UFC. Yeah it's good for Chael from the perspective that he makes bank and all publicity is good publicity..I guess.

But I think his fans especially don't realize to the casual ESPN fan there might not be person on this earth who they feel is all bark and no bite more so then Chael. They know him, know he can talk and probably now "know" he's not that great at this point.

Yes to avid MMA fans he's one of the toughest and a top MW. His reputation to non MMA followers is a guy they see talk then lose badly. No one in the sports world cared or watched his Okami, Nate or Stann fights. Maybe they saw him eek out Bisping.

Jim rome, anchors on ESPN and casuals have never seen those fights & don't know who Nate, STann or Okam are. What they do know is this Cheal Sonnen character is a good sideshow to talk to for a few minutes to hype up his next loss.
Good points. I guess I'm not too worried about what people think of Chael. He is what he is. But if it gets a guy like Jones into the limelight even for a few minute on ESPN, I'll put up with even more.

GSP has always been a big draw for the UFC, but some of the UFC's other really special talents have been less well known. It's an irony, but it's the way the world works, that Chael may have done a lot to put Silva and Jones on the map in terms of name recognition amongst casual fans.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
JonesBones
What I need is a good defense..

There was nothing really to show but a couple guys bouncing around the cage and doing little damage.

-Bruce Lee
JonesBones is offline   Reply With Quote