Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #91
moreorless87

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpunchKO View Post
Because shogun had a granite chin and manuwa looked like he doesn't. Also, jones did well against Gus. Seriously, fans like you give real shogun fans a bad rep. Gus brutalized shogun and if not for his chin, he'd be send out in a stretcher.
Actually I'd say Gus benefited more from his chin in that fight than Shogun did, for the first couple of rounds he was taking some massive punches from Rua. What really won him(well made him obviously the better fighter on the night, the first round could have gone either way) the match was wearing Shogun down on the ground and via that bodyshot in the 3rd.

The reality is that Shogun is still a very dangerous brawler, he's just not the mobile kickboxer or dangerous grappler he was in the past and doesn't have the same cardio.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #92
servel20

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAndFire View Post
This is how Shogun did against Jones:

Like that wasn't illegal...

Huge thanks to Det_Kimble for my AV.
servel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #93
servel20

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHJ View Post
gimme a fuckin break,so what,he won a really hard really close fight..i think it says alot of jones to take a beating and then come on strong in the end. he showed some serious guts in stealing the fourth round back and then gus didnt have anything left in the 5th but jones is the one who should be made to feel like a loser because he didnt dominate gus like he did the other guys? thats total BS
You do realize not only that Gus threw more on the fifth, he also landed more strikes?

Jon got out grappled, out struck and out damaged, yet people like you give him "credit" for getting his ass kicked?

He stole that entire fight on the basis of almost putting Gus away in the final minute of round 4, a round which he was losing handily BTW.

Jones won the bout, but it's painfully obvious he lost physically and mentally.

He postponed the Glover fight twice and was IMMEDIATELY insistent on not fighting Gustafsson soon.

Soon we will find out.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #94
servel20

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post
Actually I'd say Gus benefited more from his chin in that fight than Shogun did, for the first couple of rounds he was taking some massive punches from Rua. What really won him(well made him obviously the better fighter on the night, the first round could have gone either way) the match was wearing Shogun down on the ground and via that bodyshot in the 3rd.

The reality is that Shogun is still a very dangerous brawler, he's just not the mobile kickboxer or dangerous grappler he was in the past and doesn't have the same cardio.
He showed much better countering skills on his last fight, hopefully he can be reborn like Vitor, without TRT of course.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM   #95
servel20

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
Real weight class?? Shogun has fought at 205 his entire career....and has had massive success. That his his real weight class.
Back in 2003 most lightheavyweight fighters were in the range of 6ft to 6ft 3in at the most (overeem).

All of the fighters nowadays are way oversized in comparison to what they were back then.

Just look at GSP whom Joe Rogan described as a huge welterweight when he faced Menjivar. Now he's been constantly outsized by every single one of his contenders.

Shogun is most definitely undersized for Lightheavyweight now, and should move to middleweight.