Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Orgasmo

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Anybody else feels time is flying by in the last few months?

I didn't know much about MMA before 2004, but I knew the big names in the first generation like Royce Gracie, Shamrock brothers, Bas Rutten were considered to be the pioneers. They were consider the prototypes, but they were already in the twilight of their careers. Essentially when I started watching MMA, this generation was passing the torch to the second generation of fighters.

After 2004, I followed MMA more intensely. This was when PRIDE was considered the bigger promotion than UFC. At the time Barnett, Henderson, Gomi, Coleman, Shogun, Wanderlei, CroCop and Fedor was dominating the scenes in Japan. While in United States, guys like Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Rich Franklin and Sean Sherk were kicking ass in the UFC. These guys were considered to be the second generation MMA fighters, well versed in a single discipline but started to cross-train. They were at the top of their game when I started watching.

About 2 years after I started, a new breed came into the scene. They were well rounded guys like BJ Penn, GSP, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Frankie Edgar and Rashad Evans. They integrated different disciplines more effectively and can be considered to be true MMA fighters. One after the other, they dethroned the old guard from the second generation. This third generation had the greatest impact on me since I saw their rise to stardom and domination from the beginning. MMA arguably hit the peak of its popularity during this period.

Now I am witnessing their downfall one by one, and Anderson going out in this fashion sucked balls. Guys like Jones, Weiman, Condit, Hendricks, Cain and Pettis are starting to take the helm. Looking back, I realize it's been nearly 10 years since I first started watching. I went from a teenager to almost late 20's. While I no longer follow the sport as I did few years back, I feel a bit nostalgic looking back. This is especially so watching the champions fall one by one in the past couple of months. Anybody else feel time is just passing us by?

Orgasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
ostlerrage

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Took me 5 seconds to type this. It flew by. Wooooo!

ostlerrage is offline   Reply With Quote