Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #161
CO68

Black Belt

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzella View Post
I remember the glorious day when Joe Stevenson ans Sam Stout were hadlining fight night cards. Even the days prelims weren't televised, oh the nostalgia!
Don't forget about Junie Browning fighting in the UFC back in the glory days!

It's shame that some only care about big names. If Shaq, Kimbo Slice, Justin Bieber, Herschel Walker, and Jose Canseco joined the UFC, then cards would be called 'stacked' by the idiots.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #162
Darth Arlovski

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
I knew the TS would catch some shit for this thread but I'm with him. I'm not into the UFC anywhere near as much as I was. Too many shit cards that I don't care about. I remember the good old days when I would be stoked about every UFC and Pride event, now most of the time I'm like 'ooh look some no name vs another no name in the main event' yawn

Darth Arlovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #163
Shutinputin187
Banned

I just dont like how they bend over to the nsac

Shutinputin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #164
LiverpoolUFC

Purple Belt

vCash: 171
The guys who are nobodies today are the future stars of tomorrow. I understand what you're getting at man. The rule set encourages fighters to be brought up emphasising control and to fight with the least risk possible.

"Leg kick to the midsection" - Goldie

A setback is a set up to a comeback.

Velasquez, Weidman, Machida, Condit, Swanson, Cruz, Dodson
LiverpoolUFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #165
Kidney Punch

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanustndimes View Post
His join date doesn't mean that's the entire duration he has been a fan. This forum is not the start and stop of peoples interest in MMA.
I've always found this argument to be a pointless one. (i.e. I'm agreeing with you.)

Lucifer, you may not have implied that the value of one's opinion is directly proportional to their longevity at Sherdog/number of posts here, but there are several others who do seem to have that opinion. And as it's already been said, it's a pointless, elitist view that showcases the highest order of ignorance. I just don't understand how someone can be cocky about something like their bloody post count on one of several online MMA forums. (Again, not calling you out on this, unless you're of that mindset.)

Back on topic, I have to say that all of this talk about the UFC becoming stale and "dying" really bums me out. Now, in keeping with the white-belt stereotype, I actually -am- a fairly new UFC fan. (Two years or so, I don't recall exactly when I started keeping up with it.) So naturally, a lot of things are still new to me, and there are a lot of fighters I know nothing at all about. I think that's part of what intrigues me, the fact that someone I've never heard of can rise from the ashes and take their division by storm. (Dillashaw was COMPLETELY out of left field for me, now he's huge)

I'm thinking some of the older fans are jaded, and seeing one's longtime favorite fighters leave can kill your interest a bit. (Not to mention the athlete vs fighter debates, loss of Pride, etc) But that's when you have to decide whether you're a fan of the sport, or just a fan of those fighters you so looked forward to seeing. Me? I love the sport, and I'm likely going to buy UFC 177, because names don't necessarily make fights.

Last edited by Kidney Punch; 08-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Kidney Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #166
jmadtx

vCash: 1799
i was really excited for jones vs dc

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #167
peterparker66

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119 View Post
I'm a true fight fan and i'm still interested in all fights. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out you fair weather fans.
I second that notion

peterparker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #168
Scamrock

Brown Belt

Before: Top talent was spread out across multiple promotions with no way for them to compete to see who really was the best.

Now: Almost all of the top talent is now in one promotion so we can truly find out who the best fighters are.

Before: There were 5 divisions. 5 champions who may not have been better than the competitions champions. 5 sets of contenders that were watered down due to the lack of inclusion of top fighters in other promotions.

Now: There are 10 divisions and soon to be 10 champions. The contenders are truly made up of the best in the world now that the majority of the top talent is in the same promotion.

Before: Fans of FWs and BWs needed access to Versus to watch the top fighters. Flyweight fans had to watch TPF streams on Sherdog.com. WMMA didn't have a dedicated promotion that brought all of the top fighters together to compete against each other. Fighters had to fight above their natural weight class and were fed to Gina and Cyborg because the weak FW division is what was featured. American fans didn't have easy access to the top smaller fighters of the day.

Now: All of the top fighters in these divisions are now in the UFC where they are more easily accessible for fans.

Before: You had to wait for weeks, even months for new fights.

Now: There are fights nearly every week. People who want more fights don't have to wait as long.

Before: If you wanted to watch fights from the UFC's limited fight library, you either had to buy the DVDs, which didn't include Fight Nights, or you had to pay per fight.

Now: For the price it used to cost to watch about 5 fights, you can now have unlimited access to the entire Zuffa library for an entire month, including WEC, WFA, Strikeforce, EliteXC, Affliction, and even Invicta.

Before: Prelim fights weren't televised. Once the UFC got a TV deal with Spike, some featured prelim bouts were televised, but the rest still weren't.

Now: Prelims are all accessible.

Before: Fans in other countries often had to watch local events in the middle of the night or at other odd times of day.

Now: Fans in places like England can watch local events in prime time.

Before: There weren't many events, and most of them were in Vegas. So it was unlikely the UFC was coming to your town, region, or country.

Now: There are many UFC events so the likelihood of them coming to your area has greatly increased. The global expansion has sent events to countries who have never got to have live UFC events before, and they have gone back to countries like Brazil and Japan after many years.

I could keep going. I think it is important to say that I've always been a fan. I'm not saying it used to suck. It didn't. It was great back then. I thoroughly enjoyed being a fan over the years. But when people talk about the UFC like it has got worse, I think it is important to think about improvements it has made over the years.

Scamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #169
Kwic

Brown Belt

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ369 View Post
There are literally no storylines in the UFC anymore, and now JBJ is out, so what else is there to look forward to. I have probably missed more cards over the last 3-4 months than I have since I can remember. I remember when Fight Night cards were actually decent, now what the hell do we have to look forward to? GSP is gone, Silva is on his last leg, JBJ out, all the other big names are out of their prime... Too much saturation, and too much time between marquee fights, double whammy of shittyness...

Whats the point anymore?

- pre Ko'ed Anderson would be first though ;)

Favs: A. Silva/Rashad,-the Reem-Shogun-Machida-Fedor-Condit-Penn-GSP/Trollduum/Ronda/Chael/Hunt/Palhares/Cormier/Aldo/
Kwic is offline   Reply With Quote