Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #41
RXMMA1

White Belt

vCash: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearSolidMetal View Post
Once again, I agree. Rumble is #3 in the division, IMO.

I think DC has the edge against Jones, but I can't say who has the edge in a Gus/Rumble match.

Rumble seems to be unstoppable, but he's been quick to gas out when put in position that's not to his advantage in past fights during his UFC run. And he's a huge LHW. It'd be interesting how he'd perform in the later rounds of a 5-rounder.

Gus actually has the same issue, he performed well in the first 3 rounds against Jones, but seemed to gas out in the 4th and 5th rounds. But throughout the fight he seemed to shrug off serious shots, other than the spinning elbow in Round 4, never being dropped by a single strike throughout the fight. Gus might have the heaviest chin in the entire division.

Perhaps why I love this matchup is because I honestly have no clue who would win. It's 50/50.
I'm actually curios to see how Rumble's cardio is now. You make a pretty valid point about his past cardio in his previous UFC run, but he was cutting an ungodly amount of weight which was a factor in that. He's likely not cutting as much so he may have improved cardio now.

As for Jones vs Cormier, I think Jones wins, but in the event that he doesn't, he has damn well earned an immediate rematch. He has been utterly dominant in the division since day one. Outside of Gustaffson, he's made a lot of really tough guys look like they have never fought before. People can hate him for whatever their reasons may be, but to deny his skills in MMA is just ignorant.

I think if it gets to the point where Rumble gets a title shot and Jones is still champion, he will be the one to dethrone him. I could be wrong about that because, as you mentioned, his cardio is still somewhat questionable in late rounds. I'm pretty confident he won't have those issues now because he's not a heavyweight cutting to 170lbs.

RXMMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #42
Loiosh
District Commander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferLouHoltz View Post
That was a great job of defending your position, you must be a real intelligent guy
With all due respect, your position is that Rumble can handle the take downs of the best wrestler in possibly the history of the division. You provided as an example his success against Davis, who has never demonstrated the kind of world class take downs we've seen from Cormier.

I'll give you this: Rumble hits hard and with accuracy; I would never say he doesn't have a chance against anyone in the division. However, the disparity in their grappling suggests to me that the fight would absolutely be Cormier's to lose.