Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
boss429
BowtieA$$a$$in

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by machidafan99 View Post
No, the round was very even until that point.
No it wasn't, I would have prefered Robbie won the fight but he lost the 5th round regardless of the takedown, he was rocked when he got taken down too, Jonnys round with or without the td.

boss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
Shael

Black Belt

vCash: 1810
The problem is that a point deduction has such big an impact on a 3 round fight.

Shael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #33
grooves12

Green Belt

vCash: 500
10-point must doesn't work in MMA. It was designed for and works with boxing, but trying to apply it to MMA has created a host of problems.

Trying to make it work MORE like boxing will only cause more problems. The real answer is to scrap it completely and start over fresh with something new.

grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #34
Zarathustra
Special Advisor

Worst idea ever. We need less boxing scoring, not more.

Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
capnlarge

Red Belt

I think point deductions for knockdowns would fundamentally change the sport. Better or worse? I dunno but it would be a lot different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shael View Post
The problem is that a point deduction has such big an impact on a 3 round fight.
Not only that but the fight doesn't stop when it hits the ground, so it is currently a potential strategic avenue to "feint" a knockdown. Also, it can be subjective what constitutes a knockdown in MMA, since it's legal to trip or takedown.

capnlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #36
grooves12

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerate View Post
This. I think when you're stuffing takedowns left and right it should at some point count just as much as a takedown. Or a takedown where the fighter immediately gets back to his feet shouldn't count for much of anything.
Takedowns should NEVER count for anything... if you land strikes or a sub attempt once on the ground you have the advantage and win the exchange and thus possibly the round. But, just a takedown with nothing else is meaningless.

What if someone pulls guard?? Do they get credit for a takedown?? What about defending a takedown? You dictated where the fight was just as much as someone performing a takedown? Do you win the round based on that? What about establishing control of the center of the Octagon, does that "count"?

grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

What about guys like Werdum, who pretend they were knocked down in order to lure someone into their guard?

Or in the case of Anderson/Leites, Anderson would have won those rounds 10-0.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #38
EliteLurker

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by machidafan99 View Post
I don't know about that but if you stop a take-down attempt from these national wrestling champions you should get credit for that equal to a take-down.
Nope, defense should never be scored, that's a flawed game strategy.

I think if you scored a knockdown and the round is mostly striking you should auto win the round. But to get a 10-8 you would need utter domination and your opponent to have done almost nothing.

EliteLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
Magooglie

Gold Belt

vCash: 87
I'm going to say no because while an MMA fighter doesn't necessarily want to get knocked down they can sometimes go to their back in a defensive manner if they're getting attacked. While that's not to their benefit it doesn't warrant losing a whole point. Boxers train to never get knocked down. So if they do get knocked down a -1 is reasonable.

Magooglie is offline   Reply With Quote