Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #251
groo

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMuffler View Post
easily beat female professional fighters? Years ago back when Gina was fighting, there used to be a lot of not so big (6' 190 lbs and smaller) posters on Sherdog who claimed they would trounce any WMMA fighter despite having no or minimal (eg. recreational boxing) training of their own. Is this stance still prevalent now?

Also, do average sized untrained males still believe they could easily KO any female fighter with any punch they land? If so, should Gina hitting with huge power on Fight Science but only ever getting one clean KO against an outsized Rosie Sexton, and the amount of punishment girls like Miesha Tate and Lauren Murphy have withstood, not be evidence against this 'all girls have glass jaws' theory?

I'm smaller/lighter than average (5'10 low 150's) so I wouldn't count as an 'average sized untrained male' but I personally believe any decent atomweight (105 lb) female fighter would destroy me. Who else is man enough to admit this (bonus points if you're a manlet like me XD)?
a 105lb girl....No.......maybe if they are an awesome striker and I'm dumb enough to strike with them. But otherwise I could pick them up and slam them repeatedly. throw in some soccer kicks and its over.

groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #252
rE

White Belt

vCash: 50
I got thrown around by the junior world judo champion. She was half my size.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #253
groo

Silver Belt

I think the problem with these threads is that the average poster is not a completely out of shape guy with zero experience in either grappling or striking. So they don't answer...well sure that girl who I out weigh by 70 lbs would kick my ass....because they know it isn't true. They have trained with smaller opponents and women and know they can make up for lack of skill with size and strength.....and this angers the thread starters because it ruins their thread that their idea of average is really well below average among even casual fans of mma.

groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #254
TheHu1k

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMuffler View Post
easily beat female professional fighters? Years ago back when Gina was fighting, there used to be a lot of not so big (6' 190 lbs and smaller) posters on Sherdog who claimed they would trounce any WMMA fighter despite having no or minimal (eg. recreational boxing) training of their own. Is this stance still prevalent now?

Also, do average sized untrained males still believe they could easily KO any female fighter with any punch they land? If so, should Gina hitting with huge power on Fight Science but only ever getting one clean KO against an outsized Rosie Sexton, and the amount of punishment girls like Miesha Tate and Lauren Murphy have withstood, not be evidence against this 'all girls have glass jaws' theory?

I'm smaller/lighter than average (5'10 low 150's) so I wouldn't count as an 'average sized untrained male' but I personally believe any decent atomweight (105 lb) female fighter would destroy me. Who else is man enough to admit this (bonus points if you're a manlet like me XD)?
You are actually very average. Average in the US is 5'9" 160lbs. And yeah, most untrained men think they would beat up any girl fighter.

TheHu1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #255
BigMuffler

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by groo View Post
I think the problem with these threads is that the average poster is not a completely out of shape guy with zero experience in either grappling or striking. So they don't answer...well sure that girl who I out weigh by 70 lbs
The OP of this thread actually specifies 'average sized untrained man' vs a BW not you against one; the atomweights were only mentioned as being an equivalent comparison to a manlet like me. An average sized man doesn't outweigh a BW by 70 lbs either.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #256
BigMuffler

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHu1k View Post
You are actually very average. Average in the US is 5'9" 160lbs.
I thought it was more like 180 for weight - have the number of fatties driving up the average decreased? XD In any case when I think of the 'average' guy I picture someone my height give or take 1-2 inches, but with a much larger upper body than me... then again I'm bottom heavy so maybe that guy doesn't outweight me by as much as I think.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #257
eatmyfiddle

White Belt

a man can beat any woman. Period. Even a scrawny 125lb-er dude can beat up Ronda by virtue of having a Y chromosome. Anyone who denies this is a raging feminist

eatmyfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #258
ProBoxingInsidr

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNiaz1 View Post
I'll have to admit that I was once so naive to think that being 220lbs with wrestling and boxing training that there was no chick in the world could possibly beat me in a fight. When I started learning BJJ I was thoroughly humbled and realized that women can be legit fighters. The striking in WMMA however is still in the dark ages so I feel I could hold my own when pretty much any girl, but I may still be a bit naive.
as someone who spends 5 days a week in a gym, i see a lot of newbies get into the ring to try it out. its amazing the difference between what an untrained person THINKS they look like as a striker and what they REALLY look like as a striker. for some reason we all have this idea that we look fantastic in the standup department when in reality almost everyone looks like total shit when throwing.

i actually taped myself sparring former olympian michael hunter. he was just playing with me, but i felt i did ok. then i looked at the video and it was pathetic. i have since got much better, but i have trained for 6 months. so yea, pretty much everyone thinks they have great standup so its easy to knock the ladies when they arent that technical

Last edited by ProBoxingInsidr; 01-14-2014 at 01:04 PM.
ProBoxingInsidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #259
OderusUrungus**
Banned

If they do, they've never sparred with anyone.

OderusUrungus** is offline   Reply With Quote