Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #61
ThinkBig500

Brown Belt

vCash: 44498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammon View Post
It took Jones 7 tries to get Rampage down, Glover took Rampage down on first try and took him down at will.

Glover has never been taken down by anybody. He's stronger than Jones, has a thicker, lower base. I bet Glover will outwrestle Jones and manage to get him down.
Marvin Eastman and Matt Horwich got him down. His wrestling has improved rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMurderer21 View Post
Yeah but Glover has NO head movement! he has some of the worst stand up defense in the division so as much as I hate to say it, Jones should have his way with this one. The reach will be too much for Glover to even come close to tagging him
That's a lie.

He used good head movement against Rampage and covers up quite well with his arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRodentia View Post
Jones' takedown offence is a thousand times more proven than Glovers' takedown defence.
Rampage and Bader tried to take him down and didn't come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjso View Post
Agree wholeheartedly with this. This fight is just something we all have to endure to watch the LHW fight most really want to see in Jones v Gus II. Jones is a horrible matchup for Glover who while having one punch KO power(Shogun, Rampage, Machida) lacks the speed, size and chin to beat Jones. These were all the things which made Gus so competitive against Jones in the first place. Glover didn't deserve his title shot having almost been KO'd by Bader and not having fought the competition necessary to earn a title shot. Phil Davis deserved the shot more than Glover who got cut in line as well as Gus. Jones will be able to keep Glover at bay using his reach and finish him at will.
Glover is sufficiently fast and is very big and strong. He was certainly faster than Rampage (if not faster, he certainly had better timing) and he was not almost KO'd by Bader--he was knocked off balance and not wobbly in the slightest. Davis will lose to Glover and Jones.

ThinkBig500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #62
shady313

vCash: 500
Im picking Glover for sure and this guy ^^^^^^ knows whats up.

Shogun, Fedor, Wanderlei, Nick Diaz, Glover, Alves, Struve, Hunt, Cain
T.Silva, Rampage, Gegard, Gustafsson.
shady313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #63
IsoManatee

Purple Belt

Let's go Glover!!!

Green Bay Packers!
IsoManatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #64
PrinceOfPain

Brown Belt

vCash: 515
I'm pretty intrigued by this match-up. A lot of people were picking Glover as having a much better shot against Jones than Gus before the Gus fight (I wasn't one of them, but I gave neither a great chance, so what do I know?)
Glover's an ox-like lhw, and if he can close the distance and get his hands on Jones I can see him doing a lot of damage.
Also, Jones got quite a scare in his last fight, and it will be interesting to see how he comes back from that. If he's tentative, and too cautious, he could find himself in trouble, but if he's redoubled his efforts in training (realising that there are still beasts in the division, beasts who aren't on the downslide) then I think he has the skills and proportions to give Glover fits.

Pulling for Glover either way.

☻/
/▌
/ \
PrinceOfPain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #65
trane

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammon View Post
It took Jones 7 tries to get Rampage down, Glover took Rampage down on first try and took him down at will.

Glover has never been taken down by anybody. He's stronger than Jones, has a thicker, lower base. I bet Glover will outwrestle Jones and manage to get him down.
You leave out the fact that Rampage had no knees and a stiff breeze could have knocked him down

trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 AM   #66
ThinkBig500

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane View Post
You leave out the fact that Rampage had no knees and a stiff breeze could have knocked him down
That's a lie. Not that Beltran is a great wrestler, but he tried like hell to get Rampage down and couldn't, so it's not as if Page has no TDD.

Do you think Glover isn't a good wrestler? He has taken down (or knocked down) all of his UFC opponents including Ryan Bader.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #67
unregisturd
The human grappling dummy

Hope Glover wins, I think the reach will be too much and Jones will "Klitschko" his way to another "W"

Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #68
neverwas

Purple Belt

vCash: 166
All I know is,like him or loath him,jones is a very good fighter. Glover is a fucking savage though. If jones engages on the feet like he did against Gus,it's lights out. If he sticks and moves,then it gets real hard for glover,but again if glover gets hold of jones he will do damage.either way it's gonna be a great fight.

They say you are what you eat, but I don't remember eating fucking awesome!
neverwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #69
paynebringer

Black Belt

For Glover to be effective he needs you to stand & bang with him so he can better you in the exchange. Jones is as much as a cerebral fighter as he is physical he,s not gonna stand and trade with power when he can move around the power pick & peck with kicks, jabs, knees, and frustrating long limb clenches with cracking elbows. Where Texeira fights with Hulk "SMASH" swinging fashion Jones fights with Batman precision and brains.

paynebringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #70
ThinkBig500

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynebringer View Post
For Glover to be effective he needs you to stand & bang with him so he can better you in the exchange. Jones is as much as a cerebral fighter as he is physical he,s not gonna stand and trade with power when he can move around the power pick & peck with kicks, jabs, knees, and frustrating long limb clenches with cracking elbows. Where Texeira fights with Hulk "SMASH" swinging fashion Jones fights with Batman precision and brains.
I'm going to bump this thread later on with gifs to show that Glover is not a "hulk smash" fighter. While he does throw big power punches, they're usually very accurate and well-timed. For example, he threw a right hand to counter Bader's uppercut (the punches were really thrown at the same time) and landed moments after separating off the fence. He can easily throw straighter punches and moves in and out with his punches very well, particularly with bodyshots.