Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #61
Chaos Theory

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bars View Post
This is the second stupidest post that I've seen today.
Now I know how you got that high post count. You are truly the toughest of all keyboard warriors. The way you dismiss discussion with childish dismissiveness comes second to none.

Everybody bow down to Black Bars, we are not worthy of vastly superior intellect.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #62
Razor
ill wrek u

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post

Everybody bow down to Black Bars, we are not worthy of vastly superior intellect.
You goddamn right.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #63
SharkBoy

Black Belt

Crocop would've killed him

Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #64
Shonuff1980

Purple Belt

First, this fight doesn't go to the ground, neither man would want it there. That being said, Mirko has fought and defeated FAR better strikers than AS has face in his career. I'd say Lee Murray and Vitor are the best AS has faced. AS undoubtedly has the best ability to avoid getting hit, and some of the best striking in MMA, but he never faced a striker of Mirko's caliber when he was young and hungry.
Mirko was bigger, stronger, faster, and an absolute beast. I'm sure there will be many newer fans or UFC fanboys that will discredit Mirko, saying things like "..once he fought real competition in the UFC....derp, derp....he lost....derp....derp".
Lets' be realistic here, Mirko was a born and bred striker, boxing, kickboxing then MMA. In a ring you can cut people off/corner them easier than in the cage. Then there's age, mileage etc. He's had over 100 fights between boxing , kickboxing/MMA, not counting many amateur bouts. So is it unbelievable that through a combination of factors Mirko wasn't the same fighter he was in Pride? Absolutely, he was on his way out/down for sure, past his peak/prime.
Unfortunately it happens to most fighters, Chuck, Wand, Fedor etc. They all have had amazing careers, then age/mileage start to catch up. Everyone peaks differently, Couture and AS (Hendo too....but, TRT?) are anomalies as far as I'm concerned in how they've managed to peak at later ages and be successful into their later years.
Conclusion, in a ring, Mirko annihilates AS, no question. In a cage, Mirko would struggle more to beat AS due to the difference in ability to cut people off in a ring, but I think Mirko would still be him there too.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #65
SharkBoy

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff1980 View Post
First, this fight doesn't go to the ground, neither man would want it there. That being said, Mirko has fought and defeated FAR better strikers than AS has face in his career. I'd say Lee Murray and Vitor are the best AS has faced. AS undoubtedly has the best ability to avoid getting hit, and some of the best striking in MMA, but he never faced a striker of Mirko's caliber when he was young and hungry.
Mirko was bigger, stronger, faster, and an absolute beast. I'm sure there will be many newer fans or UFC fanboys that will discredit Mirko, saying things like "..once he fought real competition in the UFC....derp, derp....he lost....derp....derp".
Lets' be realistic here, Mirko was a born and bred striker, boxing, kickboxing then MMA. In a ring you can cut people off/corner them easier than in the cage. Then there's age, mileage etc. He's had over 100 fights between boxing , kickboxing/MMA, not counting many amateur bouts. So is it unbelievable that through a combination of factors Mirko wasn't the same fighter he was in Pride? Absolutely, he was on his way out/down for sure, past his peak/prime.
Unfortunately it happens to most fighters, Chuck, Wand, Fedor etc. They all have had amazing careers, then age/mileage start to catch up. Everyone peaks differently, Couture and AS (Hendo too....but, TRT?) are anomalies as far as I'm concerned in how they've managed to peak at later ages and be successful into their later years.
Conclusion, in a ring, Mirko annihilates AS, no question. In a cage, Mirko would struggle more to beat AS due to the difference in ability to cut people off in a ring, but I think Mirko would still be him there too.

spot on

Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #66
stevebobeve
Banned

cro cop was listed at 217lbs when he fought w. silva in 2006. cut 12 lbs and hes a light heavyweight. silva weighs more than that when he fights at 205. so size is no issue here.

power and speed are an issue though. cro cop beats silva in both departments (in 2006)

the only way silva wins is by being unorthadox and pulling a seagal kick or something equally as sneaky. otherwise cro cop wins.

stevebobeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #67
stevebobeve
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff1980 View Post
coututre is easy to figure out. 30 fights in 14 years. cro cop has litteraly twice as many fights in the same ammount of time. and that doesn't include the 45 amateur boxing matches. cro cop has fought litteraly over 3 times the ammount of fights that couture has. and randy is a trt guy too.

stevebobeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #68
Shonuff1980

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebobeve View Post
coututre is easy to figure out. 30 fights in 14 years. cro cop has litteraly twice as many fights in the same ammount of time. and that doesn't include the 45 amateur boxing matches. cro cop has fought litteraly over 3 times the ammount of fights that couture has. and randy is a trt guy too.
Source? I'd read that he takes supplements, I never read anything that said he took TRT (although I wouldn't be surprised at his age)

Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #69
Bargey

Black Belt

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUsuallyRight View Post
What a dumb post.

Why not bring up K-1?
Should we not be able to talk about half the guys in the Ufc's wrestling backgrounds?
Rousey's judo?
Penn's Bjj?
Machida's Karate?
James Toney's boxing?

Or are you saying that we CAN talk about the other disciplines, but kickboxing is isn't a legit background? K-1 is kickboxing and kickboxing is K-1.

Go watch a Badr Hari highlight package........
He'd have Anderson shooting for takedowns within 30 seconds.

We'll see on Saturday night how well Overeem's kickboxing background matches up with Travis Browne's college basketball background.

Mark hunt isn't 'a pure boxer pretty much', he's a pure fighter.
How many people do you think he knocked senseless before he was ever taught to throw a punch or kick properly? I'm guessing more than a couple.
He has a grand total of 2 career boxing matches. With a grand total of 0 wins.
He has a total of 43 kickboxing matches. 30 wins.
He's a KICKBOXING world champion.
He has 17 mma fights. 9 wins. Most of his losses were to beasts before he learned how to defend takedowns/submissions.

Pure boxer?
Maybe you should watch more fights...
If Hunt kicked you in the leg, he'd likely shatter it.
He's also proficient in knees, elbows, and atomic butt drops.

Calling Hunt a pure boxer is ignorant.

Handle Kongo?

Kongo would EASILY beat the shit out of 95% of the guys Anderson has ever faced.

Look at the names of the fighters Anderson has faced...
I only give Belfort or Henderson a chance of beating Kongo.
The rest? Kongo would murder them.

Seriously...
You think Maia, Leites, Nate The Great, Cote, Chonan, Sonnen, Leben, Rivera, etc, have ANYTHING for Kongo?

You realize Kongo has 11 wins in the Ufc's hw division, right?
He's right up there (if not the leader) in ko/tko finishes within the promotion...

Aside from from his first loss in the Octagon, Kongo has only lost to:
Cain, Nelson, Hunt, Mir, and Herring.
You think a 'prime' or 'serious' Anderson matches up well with any of those guys?
Nope.

There's no shame in the fact that Crocop 'couldn't even hand Kongo'.

Bottom line...
Prime Crocop is a horrible matchup for Prime Anderson.
So is Prime/Pure Boxer Hunt.
So is Prime Kongo.

Crocop has only ever lost to guys who have the strength to ragdoll Anderson at will.

I'm thinking that Silva would have had a rough night against Mirko.
A night that would have either ended in either the hospital or the cemetery.
Lol @your analysis. Browne would stomp Hari in kickboxing or MMA. As would Anderson, JDS, Nelson or any even other half way decent striker. Kickboxing has always had substandard strikers which was the only reason Crocop had plenty of success there.