Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #51
paynebringer

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan M View Post
So if you believe its merely a fictional account of something used to illustrate and fortify certain religious principals why even bring it up as an example in a discussion about actual fighting? If it is a story it means literally nothing in the context of what we are discussing other than it is easy to make people believe in fantastical concepts like a tiny man defeating a massive trained opponent through the intervention of a deity.
I can tell your the type of "BITCH" who gets off trying to prove how smart you are. David & Goliath I used not so much as a literal example but to illustrate what my point was and still is skill for me trumps size. If you want to take it as some sort biblical argument then go find a church and debate there. I used the example because most people know the story obviously you do Goliath had size David had skill with sling.
Compare with modern day fighters I'll take pure skill over size, but if you're big & skilled, then the guy across is in some real trouble.

On a side note go read some Aesop Fables and see if you can't take fictional situations and apply them to real life.

paynebringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #52
Jackonflame

Silver Belt

vCash: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100action View Post
er JDS is a monster, 6'4 115 kg
He's between 240-45 in a division where several fighters are upwards of 260.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #53
wompuscatwilly

Green Belt

Yes it matters.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
MonkeysPaw

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynebringer View Post
I can tell your the type of "BITCH" who gets off trying to prove how smart you are. David & Goliath I used not so much as a literal example but to illustrate what my point was and still is skill for me trumps size. If you want to take it as some sort biblical argument then go find a church and debate there. I used the example because most people know the story obviously you do Goliath had size David had skill with sling.
Compare with modern day fighters I'll take pure skill over size, but if you're big & skilled, then the guy across is in some real trouble.

On a side note go read some Aesop Fables and see if you can't take fictional situations and apply them to real life.
the problem i see with that arguement is that it can go both ways. size CAN trump skill as well. and there is more evidence towards that which is why there are weight divisions.

MonkeysPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #55
cgf

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase0910 View Post
InB4 "Jon Jones is really a heavyweight"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He's not.....

*shrug* he's bigger and more powerful than reem was in the early pride days before the juice, back when he and Shogun put on one of the most explosive fights the division has seen. Jones is ridiculously massive for that division and with age cutting all that weight will become harder and harder. So I do think he'll end up fighting at HW down the road, but he's so young that that might not be for many years, and LHW has become a huge division with Gus, Glover and Cormier around.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #56
OldManGrip

Purple Belt

vCash: 551
not at hw, the smaller hw's are good bc of speed and agility

old school : Werdum, Fedor, Igor V

Don't hate a fighter just because they beat your idol
OldManGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #57
OldManGrip

Purple Belt

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliox View Post
You just gave us 2 names out of 9 divisions in the UFC. Seems like a conclusion in itself, no?

1/10 thread

If cutting weight wasn't so essential, fighters wouldn't be shortening their lifespan for a paycheck by going through with grueling cuts.

Jones fights at 230.
Anderson fought at 205-210.
GSP fought at 192-195
Aldo is the biggest 145er on the planet.
Ronda cuts from 152.

Don't really know about Barao. MM cuts big as well. He used to cut for 135, now he cuts to 125. Imagine.

As for Pettis? Well, there's a reason he lost to Guida and barely beat Stephens. Benson got caught, yes, but he's probably been the most successful LW in recent years... and he's nearly as big as GSP.

Again, if size wasn't so important, guys wouldn't be going through extreme torturing weight cuts to keep a job.
aldo looks big, but you have to remember he is only 5'7 making him look wider, most fws are about 5'9, same for barao at 5'6. The only really tall champ is jones. If reach mattered that much I would think all champs would have jones build. Only weidman comes close to his build

old school : Werdum, Fedor, Igor V

Don't hate a fighter just because they beat your idol
OldManGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #58
muaythaibeast

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralKnievel View Post
Most guys who are cutting the most don't have the skill set to compete in the UFC at what might be a healthier, easier weight for them. Munoz, Boetsch, Tibau, etc. Those guys wouldn't be around any more competing at a higher weight class.

And while some others may point to Anthony Johnson, I'm laughing at the gullibility of anyone who believes he'd be a force at 205 in the UFC.
I honestly didn't think munoz cut much at all, I thought he was less than 200 a week out from the boetsch fight.

muaythaibeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #59
RollingStop

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynebringer View Post
Ever hear the story of David & Goliath? Size is great if you know how to use it, but skill trumps size every time.

Well, yeah, because that cheating bastard David used a rock!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #60
The DanaWhite

Green Belt

vCash: 50
depending on your skill set. if your a technical fighter who uses speed and movement then you will have an advantage being smaller like frankie had at light weight. if your a grinder than of course cutting weight can be an advantage like with gray maynard, or bader or someone with a wrestling based attack

Always supporting chael, bones, ellenburger, Dodson, aldo, Machida, bj Penn ,dom Cruz, barboza, guillard, and lauzon.
The DanaWhite is offline   Reply With Quote