Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #91
hypocalking

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgillia View Post
You seem to forget that anything can happen in a fight. I also wouldn't be surprised if Overeem beat Nelson. However, Nelson has clearly been a much better fighter in the UFC than Alistair so far.

And yes - Overeem's stand up skills since leaving Golden Glory have seriously declined from the days he won the K1 Grand Prix.

While he has always been a prodding forward kind of fighter, its gotten much worse lately. He certainly hasn't shown the ability to consistently move to his right, firing a barrage of stiff jabs while keeping his guard up - the kind of stuff that Nelson struggles with.

Plus, he drops his hands at inopportune times, retreats directly backwards pinning himself up against the fence repeatedly (again with his hands down), and throws one of the least technical and wildly arcing right hands that seldom lands of just about any of the so called striking-pedigreed fighters in the UFC.
Reem has had only 4 fights in the UFC. Won two lost two. Same record Roy had in his first 4 fights in the UFC. One thing though Roy lost to Mir and Reem dominated Mir. So you really can't say Roy is doing better than Alistair in the UFC. That's simply not true. And if they do fight I gurantee Reem will win.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #92
Wayweary

Brown Belt

vCash: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadosdaluta View Post
As a guy who looks at traditional Martial Arts, I can surely say that Roy is NOT throwing punches like that because he read them in a Martial Arts book. Let's be honest, the guy has no technique, I know you like him, and hell, I like him to, because he's chubby like me and a good fighter, BUT, don't try to find something there that isn't there. He punches like that because he has no technique, when you bring in someone with technique like Stipe Micioic... well you saw.
It's not about not having technique. It's about having the proper mix of techniques and applying them in the right way in a given situation. The techniques that Roy has serve him very well much of the time. He does have weaknesses, but so do many fighters. It doesn't mean they have "no technique."

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #93
Wayweary

Brown Belt

vCash: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocalking View Post
LOL @ the first page of this thread saying Nelson has good technique. Holy Jesus........ Dude just throws haymakers. His technique is horrible. The cluelessness in this thread is baffling. You people are either retarded, brainwashed or both.
You don't know what "technique" means. Techniques are tooled to purpose. If you want to generate the most power, you aren't going to be throwing a punch that looks like textbook boxing, but the technique is good for generating more power. You can throw a "haymaker" with good or bad technique. Roy does it with good technique.

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #94
PivotPunch

Brown Belt

vCash: 1580
Quote:
LOL Werdum. Werdum doesn't even have good boxing and he was lighting up Roy like a Christmas tree with knees because Roy just plods forward. Alistair, Mir, Barnett. The Heavyweight division is the UFC's weakest. Not to many guys in their roster.
Ok I forgot Overeem and Werdum. At this point I'm not sure about Mir he's pretty far over the hill and Nelson was ill in their fight and added his uppercut but I guess it's a lot of assuming on my part so if you want I'll give you Mir same with Barnett he isn't that fast or anything he should be able to defend most punches but apparently he is ko'able as Browne showed. Also we have to differ between guys who would be able to avoid the overhand standing up and those who would take him down which might include Barnett. So if I give you all those guys it's only the top 10 which means that Roy would still ko dozens of young fighters who just aren't among the top 10 HWs on the planet. Yes HW isn't a deep division but still

PivotPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #95
Cazador

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlivedglory View Post
There is nothing wrong with Nelson's technique. He learned different martial arts forms, and it shows in every area of his game. People say it's that he is big and fat and sloppy, but results like that come from hard work. Nobody can get lucky that often.
This.

Cazador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #96
mfgillia

Purple Belt

Quote:
Reem has had only 4 fights in the UFC. Won two lost two. Same record Roy had in his first 4 fights in the UFC. One thing though Roy lost to Mir and Reem dominated Mir. So you really can't say Roy is doing better than Alistair in the UFC. That's simply not true. And if they do fight I gurantee Reem will win.
One guy has won two and lost two with one finish on his UFC resume. The other guy has won 7 and lost 5 with numerous highlight reel knockouts.

To counter these stats, if we want to only compare Nelson's first 4 fights to Reem's for some reason and/or weigh his win against Mir over the prior facts that Nelson's entire UFC career at this point has been numerically better than Overeems (which was my point) then the most we could say is its arguably not true.

Although, my guess is most would find this a weak argument but at least it would then be debatable versus simply not true.

Last edited by mfgillia; 04-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.
mfgillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #97
canadafightteam
bamed

Quote:
No shit it's two different sports. Thanks caption obvious. You failed to grasp the concept of my post. And I'd take that bet with my account that Nelson would not beat Reem in MMA. You're silly. I do take kickboxing and plodding forward with a jab and then throwing an overhand is not good technique. It's predictable and anyone with good footwork, defense and knowledge would see it coming a mile away. All the posters saying Roy has good technique by KOing a guy with his hands down by his waist circling towards his opponents power hand are morons and don't know what they are talking about. And Nog nor Roy tried to take each other down. It was essentially a boxing/kickboxing fight. A pathetic one at that.

So you are a fanboy and nothing more? then i don't care about your opinion. fucking arm chair quarterback. and i made it obvious because you don't understand it, i felt like i had to. Roy loses to speed and athleticism, but ya keep discrediting professional athletes at the top of their sport, makes sense as you are an expert. It is guys like you that make this place shitty, and why no fighters post here

canadafightteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #98
wartor

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadafightteam View Post
So you are a fanboy and nothing more? then i don't care about your opinion. fucking arm chair quarterback. and i made it obvious because you don't understand it, i felt like i had to. Roy loses to speed and athleticism, but ya keep discrediting professional athletes at the top of their sport, makes sense as you are an expert. It is guys like you that make this place shitty, and why no fighters post here
I know the guy is a moron (I'm the head moron, I know my membership), but I don't think he is the reason fighters don't post here.

And you as a fighter posting that may be irony, not sure.

wartor is offline   Reply With Quote