Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #51
Senzo Tanaka

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
It's Cain's fight to lose but he definitely fights stupid at times. I could easily see him making the same mistake as Fedor and playing in Werdum's guard after dropping him. If it goes to the ground, I think Werdum grabs an arm bar or triangle since Cain can be sloppy.

If Cain fights smart and keeps it standing or against the cage it's an easy win.

Senzo Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #52
Voah

Orange Belt

Cain would probably avoid the ground with Werdum in the first round, but wouldn't later in the fight.

The problem with fighting Cain is that he pressures with striking now. Before it was just wrestling, basically. It's hard to defend punches when you have to think about being taken down by an elite wrestler as well. Only someone who is an expert at counter-striking whilst backing up, and who isn't worried about being taken down, could beat him.

If Browne can get past Werdum, he might be able to pull something off. He's no expert striker. But he does have a diverse arsenal of knees and kicks, and is so arrogant about his take-down defense (which is pretty good), that he'd probably not be worried about being taken down.

Mw: Anderson, Shields
Ww: GSP, Diaz, Maia
Lw: Diaz, Pettis
Fw: Aldo
Voah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #53
Voah

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senzo Tanaka View Post
It's Cain's fight to lose but he definitely fights stupid at times. I could easily see him making the same mistake as Fedor and playing in Werdum's guard after dropping him. If it goes to the ground, I think Werdum grabs an arm bar or triangle since Cain can be sloppy.

If Cain fights smart and keeps it standing or against the cage it's an easy win.
I disagree about the sloppy. You could have said he's not much of athlete and so on. But his technique and cardio have always been really good. Maybe his BJJ is not on the level of Werdum's, but it's pretty good.

I mean, I've never seen him swept. I saw him get up easily when Brock took him down. And I've never seen anyone come close to even attempting a submission on him.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #54
MMABr

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voah View Post
I disagree about the sloppy. You could have said he's not much of athlete and so on. But his technique and cardio have always been really good. Maybe his BJJ is not on the level of Werdum's, but it's pretty good.

I mean, I've never seen him swept. I saw him get up easily when Brock took him down. And I've never seen anyone come close to even attempting a submission on him.
stopped reading there... ''maybe'' his BJJ isn't at the same level of Werdum's? just wow.

MMABr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #55
hypocalking

Gold Belt

Did the TS forget he's fighting Browne, who's going to wreck Werdum.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #56
Voah

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMABr View Post
stopped reading there... ''maybe'' his BJJ isn't at the same level of Werdum's? just wow.
Well, Cain has never been in a submission grappling tournament. We don't know how he'd fair.

Of course, I meant with respect to fighting in a cage. I've never seen anyone come close to a submission attempt on him.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #57
mmaelitefan000

Green Belt

i would never doubt werdum's abilities. he HAS the skills to ko/sub anybody but i do question his HEART and CARDIO.

― Me
mmaelitefan000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #58
BGDDYKWL

Brown Belt

Yeah, Nog seemed to be taking that fight over just before the finish. He was getting the better of Werdum and it seemed as though Werdum was tiring/fading. He has nothing for Cain.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #59
footodors

Green Belt

imagine if Cain gnp'd werdum to a win!!

footodors is offline   Reply With Quote