Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
GrindingANARCHY
Sherdog Bluffer

vCash: 328
Only Ronda could beat 3 men in 1 night and she didnt fight them 1 on 1

Old 02-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
SeattleFightFan

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
not fully disagreeing with you, but it could be argued said fighter has some control over how much damage he took in his previous fight, its not like they draw straws to see who is more damaged before they fight
ever seen Sakuraba v Igor? yes, this is an extreme (***VERY*** extreme) example. but the point is, some guys come in more fresh than others. it's a long standing debate, and many simply think that individual matchups are more fair than tourney wins/losses.

i think that's only a worthy debate if you only look at individual fights within a tourney. but alas, that's what forum warriors do, peruse fightfinder and debate shit like "ya, but if (insert fighter) hadn't just fought so-and-so, then (insert alternate result)."

whereas i think that's a small cost to pay for finding out who's really the baddest mofo around. it's 1 thing for GSP to game plan 12 weeks for an opponent; it's another thing to have to fights some combination of 3 fighters out of 7 in 1 night.

CLIFFS NOTES: i miss 1 night tourneys but they're probably gone forever at the highest levels of mma.

Last edited by SeattleFightFan; 02-20-2014 at 12:25 PM.
SeattleFightFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
FRANKIE 総統
RAINMAKER

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticMethod View Post
SF did a WMMA tournament not that long ago. I think they limited the fights to only 2 rounds, though, and it was only a 4 woman thing. I believe Tate won.
That was the 2nd time they had a one night tourney. Jorge Santiago won four man tournament.

さようなら ハイアン・グレイシ

リオン武
FRANKIE 総統 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
jeff7b9

Purple Belt

vCash: 636
I fully understand why they don't do this anymore, but as a fan same night tournaments were fucking awesome to watch.

That is what first made me a fan of Babalu and Vitor

jeff7b9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #25
PRIDEWASBETTER
King of Hearts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingANARCHY View Post
Only Ronda could beat 3 men in 1 night and she didnt fight them 1 on 1
3 finishes if I remember correctly.

Austin 3:16

"Yes. Sonnen haters are like dieting women. They just can't hold themselves and soon they're finding themselves pillaging everyone elses plates of Sonnens." - Machina Obscura
PRIDEWASBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
fearoth

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
I like it but it's pretty unfair. A fighter who won by quick knockout versus a fighter who fought a bloody war are not going to be even when they fight. Some say that the fighter who got the quick knockout should be rewarded but sometimes you cannot prevent who you face in a tournament.
How Overeem won a K1 tourney.

fearoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #27
SeattleFightFan

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearoth View Post
How Overeem won a K1 tourney.
heh. undoubtedly one of the easier roads to the best ever.

but K-1 is weird like that. it happens.

i thought Barnett's road to the SF GP was that easy too until he hit a 240lb roadblock named Cormier

SeattleFightFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
JiuJizzle

Blue Belt

vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Zone View Post
Fun fact: the only time Nick Diaz has ever been legitimately stopped was during a one-night tournament in his 3rd fight of the night.
Jeremy "The Ladies Man" Jackson.

JiuJizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
Cage917r

Purple Belt

The primary reason would be healthy and injury reasons. The commission wont let them go back out there if there is any injury (look at all the guys who end up on the no fight list following each event). You can't advertise a guy fighting multiple times because there is always a chance he gets hurt. Oh and it is pointless to have more than one fight in a night.

Cage917r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #30
Dontevenguess93

Green Belt

At the old gym I used to train at, Luiz Cane trained as well. He spoke about how in Brazil, Charles Olivera used to fight sometimes 3 times one night even before he was an adult, and how many of his wins aren't even on record. He said the first time they watched him fight everyone's mouth dropped because he finished 3 respectable opponents back to back and he was like 17 or 18.

Dontevenguess93 is offline   Reply With Quote