Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Victor

Blue Belt

vCash: 369
I don't like immediate rematches unless it's a close decision

but if andy gets one then gsp should as well

Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
kaunman24
Excellent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3yo View Post
It was just a quick example, UFC routinely puts events on the same week or in consecutive weeks.

And we all know Silva/Weidman II could be bigger, and it would be almost too easy for me to claim Rousey will sell more PPV's than Charles Oliveria did. I again ask where all the bigger PPV buyrates are for the other instant rematches of the past?
The question isnt about the past. It is about GSP. He is the biggest star in the sport, and the greatest WW in history. Silva and GSP have reigned over their divisions for YEARS. Forget what has or hasn't happened in the past. This is the right matchup to make.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
Codpiece

Brown Belt

Would he deserve one? No.

Will he get one? Yes.

I think it sucks that challengers have to win two fights to be genuinely accepted as the champ. Jones/Gus may have warranted an immediate rematch (actually it still does) as the fight was sooooooo close.

I am Carlos Condit's most reasonable fanboy.
Codpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
spid3yo

vCash: 30000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X View Post
Shogun vs Machida. BJ vs Frankie. Although very marginally and other factors probably had more to do with the second BJ vs Frankie match having slightly higher numbers.

BJ/Frankie you maybe have a case (even though you are right, James Toney/Randy Couture was the sell there).

but Shogun/Machida was only 20k, and seeing how those are estimates the final figure is probably off by more than 20k anyways, that rematch was equal to the other.

This whole nothing of "big buyrates for rematches so the UFC wants them" seems false to me, unless anyone has proof otherwise.

spid3yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
90 50

Purple Belt

I hope not, I don't like immediate rematches, it kinda stales up the scene.

Especially when a bunch of them happen in a row. Get kinda tired of all the rematches, but when they are spread out and an old champion claws his way back to the top contender position it makes for an exciting rematch(to me anyway).

Tom Slick would Own Kimbo.....

Hung Man Choi was paid to take a dive.

Lesnar's ducking UberTS
90 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
spid3yo

vCash: 30000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaunman24 View Post
The question isnt about the past. It is about GSP. He is the biggest star in the sport, and the greatest WW in history. Silva and GSP have reigned over their divisions for YEARS. Forget what has or hasn't happened in the past. This is the right matchup to make.
Nobody said it wouldn't be the right match up, only that the UFC doing it "for the money" was incorrect and there is no proof instant title rematches make more money.

spid3yo is offline   Reply With Quote