Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #61
Lawrence

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degen Gambler View Post
Other than BJ Penn, are there any sports figures who are considered legends that have shown subpar motivation for large chunks of their career or have underachieved relative to their talent? I can't think of any. To me, a legend is someone who has realized their full potential as an athlete, BJ clearly has fallen short.

Can you name any athlete considered a legend in his/her sport that has shown an equivalent lack of motivation as BJ?

Ricky Henderson
He turned himself on and off at will. Probably the most highly "gifted" athlete I've ever seen perform

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #62
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

Many of you won't recognize the name, but a gentleman named Ryan Leaf takes the cake for underachieving as an athlete.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #63
tritestill

Brown Belt

I'm a Laker fan and I disagree with Crowded's comments on Shaq.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #64
tritestill

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswhiz View Post
Many of you won't recognize the name, but a gentleman named Ryan Leaf takes the cake for underachieving as an athlete.
Ryan Leaf isn't considered a legend though, so he really as no place in the thread. The topic is athletes who are still considered "legends" in their sports while people believe they underachieved. This is like putting Sam Bowie in the argument.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #65
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritestill View Post
Ryan Leaf isn't considered a legend though, so he really as no place in the thread. The topic is athletes who are still considered "legends" in their sports while people believe they underachieved. This is like putting Sam Bowie in the argument.
Ok, ok.

How about Stu Ungar?
3x WSOP Main Event Champ, 3x Super Bowl of Poker champ.
Made a sick call in a heads-up match for the whole stack against another WSOP champ with just 10 high after deducing that his opponent had 6 high/no pair, and a busted straight draw.

Compulsive gambler, drug user, never formally studied the game, beat Doyle Brunson heads up after learning Hold'em weeks earlier for his first WSOP championship, and made a legendary comeback to capture his 3rd WSOP title against a much larger field in 1997. A truly phenomenal talent who never had any work ethic whatsoever.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote