Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
B0mbSquad

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Attempting to be Unbiased.. Mostly.

As a big time Anderson Silva fan, all I can say is that last night was, well... Heart breaking.

That said, it happens.

Weidman was a hungry challenger brimming with talent. Solid striking skills, great grappling ability, athleticism, a large reach and frame - Really exactly what we think of when talking about the "new breed".

Last night, Chris was the better fighter. No doubt. Anything can happen in a fight. Cro Cop got knocked out by Randleman, Saku was subbed by Miller, GSP was beaten to submission by Matt Serra. This loss does not necessarily prove who the better fighter is over all, but we can be damn sure of who won the fight.

Sherdog forums, most known for their obnoxious, slanted and often times seemingly uneducated posters had me (before watching the fight), thinking Anderson Silva was dominated on the ground, wiffing on all strikes in the stand up and "clowning around" to give HIMSELF a false sense of security. Weidman was very impressive, but every great fighter gets caught, and thats what happened. With that said, Anderson was riding a wave of overconfidence and it bit him in the butt.

Those praising Chris Weidman for the so-called "doubling up on his right hand" are kind of silly. Yes he toppled the Spider with a perfectly timed left hook, but that second right hand was hardly a punch, and looked much more like the flailing hammer fist Brock threw at Cain when he was getting battered on the feet.
During the after fight interviews, it was clear Anderson didn't "throw the fight". He was swaying back and forth and biting the inside of his cheek. Those are two tell tale signs that he was both embarrassed and nervous. It will only be after the next couple of fights that we see if Anderson is still the same fighter or not.

Last but not least, look for a slew of LHWs dropping down to a more vulnerable MW division with Silva out of the picture. I'm talking RASHAD, CHAEL, HENDO, MACHIDA, MOUSASI.. The MW division will be very interesting, and force people to realize how dominant Silva was, as I think Weidman's run is probably going to be much shorter,

Regardless, CONGRATS CHRIS WEIDMAN, YOU DESERVE IT. I can't help being a fan of his perseverance and character after all of this.

Anderson, You're the man, with or with out the belt. Thank God you are above all this Sherdog insanity, as well as humble in defeat. You always have my support.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
mihailovich

Purple Belt

vCash: 1111
I'm with you, man. Not all Anderson fans are in denial. Chris landed a sneaky punch & won. Very nicely done. It's a shame how many people enjoy someone's loss more than their favorite fighter's win. I'm sad because of the outcome but that's the way MMA works. Everyone can lose.

mihailovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
B0mbSquad

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihailovich View Post
I'm with you, man. Not all Anderson fans are in denial. Chris landed a sneaky punch & won. Very nicely done. It's a shame how many people enjoy someone's loss more than their favorite fighter's win. I'm sad because of the outcome but that's the way MMA works. Everyone can lose.
We really are on the same page. And that is what this is about. So many people wanted Anderson to lose more than anything. When it came to fruition the majority of Sherdog had a simultaneous wet dream.

Now Anderson expressed he doesn't want to pursue the belt anymore, but I do believe he could have won that fight. But obviously Weidman has the potential to do so as well. I guess I love MMA for the same reason it breaks my heart.. ANYTHING no matter how unlikely, can happen in the octagon. I would say thats a better explanation than Weidman being the best p4p MMA striker at least.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Po

Blue Belt

It was heart-breaking for me as well.
The end of an era. A great era.

GSP is next.

On the bright-side, Weidman is the real deal. Very athletic, young, talented and well-rounded. I don't see any glaring weaknesses, and to disagree with you, I don't see anyone dethroning him anytime soon (Anderson Silva included).

Will he have as long a run as Anderson did? Highly unlikely. MMA has more talent and more contenders everyday. The competition is greater now thus making big runs like Anderson, Fedor and GSP less likely.

Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
B0mbSquad

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po View Post
It was heart-breaking for me as well.
The end of an era. A great era.

GSP is next.

On the bright-side, Weidman is the real deal. Very athletic, young, talented and well-rounded. I don't see any glaring weaknesses, and to disagree with you, I don't see anyone dethroning him anytime soon (Anderson Silva included).

Will he have as long a run as Anderson did? Highly unlikely. MMA has more talent and more contenders everyday. The competition is greater now thus making big runs like Anderson, Fedor and GSP less likely.
It is not that I doubt the talent of Chris, it is just that his style is more A-typical of MMA fighters. Strong wrestling base, good jitz, good hands. Of course he is a great fighter, but I think that he is less of a puzzle but more well rounded. I see guys like Rashad, Machida and Vitor giving him problems with quick strikes and excellent TDD. I just don't get the vibe from Chris that I get from Jon Jones or the like. He has plenty of time to develop, but there are many immediate threats to his throne.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Po

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0mbSquad View Post
It is not that I doubt the talent of Chris, it is just that his style is more A-typical of MMA fighters. Strong wrestling base, good jitz, good hands. Of course he is a great fighter, but I think that he is less of a puzzle but more well rounded. I see guys like Rashad, Machida and Vitor giving him problems with quick strikes and excellent TDD. I just don't get the vibe from Chris that I get from Jon Jones or the like. He has plenty of time to develop, but there are many immediate threats to his throne.

I am not the biggest believer in Rashad at this point. When did he last look impressive?

Vitor is kind of a question mark with his striking but Weidman is still a favorite over him. Machida is where it gets interesting but this is assuming he can and would go to 185. He has a pretty big frame and he still wants that rematch with Jones. Munoz would lose again I think. Weidman can stuff his takedowns and outstrike him.

Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
B0mbSquad

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po View Post
I am not the biggest believer in Rashad at this point. When did he last look impressive?

Vitor is kind of a question mark with his striking but Weidman is still a favorite over him. Machida is where it gets interesting but this is assuming he can and would go to 185. He has a pretty big frame and he still wants that rematch with Jones. Munoz would lose again I think. Weidman can stuff his takedowns and outstrike him.
I don't think it is a good fight for Munoz. Rashad hasn't looked his best lately, but just put up a very tough fight against Hendo. He has quick hands and good wrestling. I would say he could keep it standing and he has the speed advantage and comparable power to Weidman. Despite Chris' win over AS, Rashad may still be a better boxer. Machida would most likely be a favorite. He is one of the best strikers in the UFC and overall a wrestler's kryptonite. Vitor is on a tear lately, but I guess we'll see about his TRT exemption because I doubt we would see that fight in Brazil.