Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #271
Zeroinnes
Minimalista XXI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post

Honestly though I can see why Dana made the soccer comparison, from a US perspective its another fringe but rapidly growing(at least when the comments were made) sport just like MMA.
He was comparing them globally.

4:12

Zeroinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #272
Erwin

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIJUANA View Post
1 million? I heard them say 100,000 came not 1million
That's what they said when I was watching.

Erwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #273
theheater

Red Belt

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyPops View Post
you could charge $250+ for the wc final and you would sell hundred of millions of buys. do not fool yourself, soccer>ALL outside of NA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
There was 1 MILLION Argentinians just on Brazil's Copacabana beach watching the match.
none of which would be willing to pay $250 to watch the match

i think you people totally miss the ppv aspect. the usa is such a powerful market because of disposable income. thats why the sponsors are willing to pay more and thats why ppv sells in north america but its free overseas. the number of people with disposable income in poorer parts of the world is tiny in comparison.

there is absolutely no chance in hell $250 for the world cup would sell 10 million nevermind 100's of millions. no fucking chance

at $20 yeah sure the #s would be huge but at $250 i doubt they could do 5 million. one of the biggest markets for a $250 ppv would be the USA. nobodys dropping that kind of coin on a soccer game in the middle of a sunday afternoon in the USA. people do not give enough fucks about soccer. the average salary in brazil is $700 per month. minimum wage is $300 per month. its one of the wealthier and biggest countries in south america. thats also a lot more than the majority of people make in asia

i think you have no clue of how big of a flop a $250 ppv for soccer would be. it would do relatively well in germany but thats about it. the rest of the world would be a huge flop

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #274
Mikeyz

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakabull View Post
but, would you pay $60 to watch a soccer game? boxing and mma, they manage to do it somehow, don't they? crazy really, when you think about it
LOL, Ohhh come on dude.

I get what you are saying, but no.

cute and yet sexy

fun but not crazy

sexy but not slutty

tough but not butchy

Gina FTMFW.
Mikeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #275
IngaVovchanchyn

Brown Belt

vCash: 2437
You know what I got from the World Cup Finals? Schweinsteiger needs a TUE, because any athlete that spends that much time on the ground crying obviously has a male hormone deficiency.

Nothing in this world eases a man's conscience like doing the right thing with other peoples' money.
IngaVovchanchyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #276
SammyPops
Team Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheater View Post

i think you people totally miss the ppv aspect. the usa is such a powerful market because of disposable income. thats why the sponsors are willing to pay more and thats why ppv sells in north america but its free overseas. the number of people with disposable income in poorer parts of the world is tiny in comparison.

there is absolutely no chance in hell $250 for the world cup would sell 10 million nevermind 100's of millions. no fucking chance

at $20 yeah sure the #s would be huge but at $250 i doubt they could do 5 million. one of the biggest markets for a $250 ppv would be the USA. nobodys dropping that kind of coin on a soccer game in the middle of a sunday afternoon in the USA. people do not give enough fucks about soccer. the average salary in brazil is $700 per month. minimum wage is $300 per month. its one of the wealthier and biggest countries in south america. thats also a lot more than the majority of people make in asia

i think you have no clue of how big of a flop a $250 ppv for soccer would be. it would do relatively well in germany but thats about it. the rest of the world would be a huge flop
with all due respect, you have no idea how big soccer is outside of NA.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #277
jimbob27
Ken Shamrock Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheater View Post

PPV is only a worthwhile business model if your sport is small-time and has a niche viewership in an area with high disposable income.

The world cup made fifa $4 billion in the space of a few weeks. That's considerably more than the UFC has made in 21 years.

This is why Dana is trying to move away from the PPV model as their sole source of income.

The UFC Fox deal supposedly cost supposedly cost $100 million for 7 years of events. Fox just paid $500 million for the rights to show the next two tournaments.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/worl...nue-4-billion/

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #278
theheater

Red Belt

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob27 View Post
PPV is only a worthwhile business model if your sport is small-time and has a niche viewership in an area with high disposable income.

The world cup made fifa $4 billion in the space of a few weeks. That's considerably more than the UFC has made in 21 years.

This is why Dana is trying to move away from the PPV model as their sole source of income.

The UFC Fox deal supposedly cost supposedly cost $100 million for 7 years of events. Fox just paid $500 million for the rights to show the next two tournaments.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/worl...nue-4-billion/
right........

just to be clear fifa did $4billion over a few weeks but supposedly according to the math in the post i was responding to they could have done 25 billion + in a single ppv game (not even the whole tournament). think about how fucking stupid that is. do you realize how many people would tune out based on being charged $250 vs sitting through some commercials?

thats why the NFL kills it. they dont have a ppv model because it makes more sense to capture the biggest audience and sell advertising. the audience shrinks when you charge them. look at the numbers of free undercard ufc fights vs the ppv portion. now factor in that the majority of the world makes less than $1,000 per month and now you think selling $250 ppv is going to work?

gtfo

seriously you respond my post with all this wonderful info but you probably didnt even realize the most basic fact of the situation is that the guy was claiming the finals could do over 25 billion in ppv revenue at $250 a pop. seriously argue any point you want but until you call that stupid i cant take you seriously

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is offline   Reply With Quote