Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #191
elzar

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McPherson View Post
The issue goes back a lot further honestly. Zuffa never stepped in and defended George year after year him getting falsely accused. He submits to this and they do the disappearing act and let Hendricks win this accusation battle.

Dana didn't defend George's win over Penn (2) either, saying that he thought he was greased. Didn't also think George lost to Penn the first time?

Yeah, you've got a company prez that never really is there when it counts.
i don't know why dana's supposed to fight george's battles for him when opponents talk trash. that would be a bit weird, don't you think?

and dana saying so-and-so won is part of his job trying to promote fights. he makes a case for a rematch or whatever.

granted, sometimes he should shut up so as not to alienate his talent, but i understand why he says what he says most of the time. GSP has pretty thin skin, so dana should probably put the proverbial kid gloves on with him. but of course then everyone's going to say that dana babies georges. and then dana will have to deal with that nonsense too.

elzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #192
Miiiiiiighty

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Mercury View Post
Mod edit. YOU NEED TO ADD LINKS TO STORIES LIKE THIS!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/14...ments-mma-news

Lorenzo Fertitta says he is disappointed in GSP's comments. I can see that but what does he expect? GSP asked for more testing, UFC say they approve of testing but do nothing to support GSP. People judge by actions, not by words.

The UFC can't win this one in the long run as inaction makes it look like they don't care or for some conspiracists, that they are covering something up. Plus, his company's president, Dana White, commonly runs off at the mouth making clear his level of disappointment in fighters, refs, unions, and athletic commissions all the time. Yet Lorenzo says nothing but GSP criticises one thing about the UFC and he's disappointed. Why? Get used to it Lorenzo, when you're the big dog in the pound, everyone is going to find fault.
Not to mention they did nothing to be kind to him lately

He was already saying they disappointed him in the Hendricks fight build up, and Dana's infamous post fight presser comments, and the one the following days , not to mention the infamous "Locker room Belt-Gate" certainly didn't help the situation either..

They tried to strongarm him big time and now that it's firing back at them they are playing the victims.
They shouldn't be surprised this had to happen one day.
And if they treat their ultimate golden boy like this, throwing him under the bus at the first opportunity (Hendricks fight), while he had always been a super company man this far, I think that says a lot about how they "take care" of less famous fighters ...

Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #193
ramsesrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anung Un Rama View Post
So GSP, long rumored to be using PEDs, uses the buildup to his retirement fight to make a lot of noise about testing, retires, and becomes the anti-doping champion by burying the company responsible for making him wealthy, but Silva is the bad guy for being "disappointed"?

I think GSP exhibits a lot of class in his interviews, but I wouldn't flinch if he gets Lance Armstrong'd in a few years. I doubt anybody would.

I also like Joe Silva, well more than Dana anyway, but I agree the sport should do more to curb the PED epidemic that this sport has had for 10+ years.

I'm convinced this is all a smoke screen from the GSP camp to separate himself from the rumors in order to secure his legacy. Even if I'm wrong, its too little too late; he should have been this vocal when he was champion not retired.
Don't forget the big check that the testing company was writing him.

ramsesrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #194
Miiiiiiighty

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anung Un Rama View Post
So GSP, long rumored to be using PEDs, uses the buildup to his retirement fight to make a lot of noise about testing, retires, and becomes the anti-doping champion by burying the company responsible for making him wealthy, but Silva is the bad guy for being "disappointed"?

I think GSP exhibits a lot of class in his interviews, but I wouldn't flinch if he gets Lance Armstrong'd in a few years. I doubt anybody would.

I also like Joe Silva, well more than Dana anyway, but I agree the sport should do more to curb the PED epidemic that this sport has had for 10+ years.

I'm convinced this is all a smoke screen from the GSP camp to separate himself from the rumors in order to secure his legacy. Even if I'm wrong, its too little too late; he should have been this vocal when he was champion not retired.
100% Agree on the smoke screen , but I think GSP just plays Games of Thrones with the UFC brass, giving them their change, after the lack of support they demonstrated toward him during the latest monthes

Dana, Lorenzo etc. know very well that anti PED policy would not serve them, as the fights would be less spectacular, and 80% on the roster is probably on or at least has already used some gear .

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #195
Freddy Mercury

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiiiiiighty View Post
100% Agree on the smoke screen , but I think GSP just plays Games of Thrones with the UFC brass, giving them their change, after the lack of support they demonstrated toward him during the latest monthes

Dana, Lorenzo etc. know very well that anti PED policy would not serve them, as the fights would be less spectacular, and 80% on the roster is probably on or at least has already used some gear .
I think it isn't so much that the fights wouldn't be exciting, it's that the UFC does not want to pay more money for the more rigorous testing. Right now they are paying for the athletic commissions' testing which in effect is bargain basement testing. And you get what you pay for.

They would have to pay a lot more for real rigorous testing they don't just do not want to do that. They can cry all they want but all sports organisations have to do this: the NFL, NBA, NHL all pay for their own testing. It is time for the UFC to step up and pay for better testing themselves.

Freddy Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #196
devilfisted

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun'n'Run View Post
At no point did they express any negativity towards GSP's decision to do outside testing.

But they would be screwing up if they went out and supported it beyond that.

You need to look at the big picture: praising GSP for doing more testing makes the testing they have now look inadequate. That makes the UFC look bad. This is pretty simple stuff.

And BTW, not to rip on GSP, this is just my honest analysis - GSP was a garbageman before he was a fighter. He's not very well educated and honestly, I've heard him on Joe's podcast and the guy is straight up not bright. At all. He's not really dumb or anything, and he has good fight IQ, but just in terms of common sense and critical thinking he is, I would say, average or (more likely) well below.
Um... Yes they did! Dana complained about GSP wanting more testing. I think his words were, I hate that shit and I wish he would stop. Also GSP has a degree in kinesiology. For someone that tries to act as smart as you do , you suck at research.

devilfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #197
devilfisted

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Keyser_Soze_ View Post
Sadly, you're unaware that GSP has a relationship with VADA, who by the way have their own issues with respect to testing. It's ridiculous of GSP to whine after the fact (now that he is retired for all intents and purposes, he's not coming back now after throwing the UFC under the bus ... which illustrates the type of guy GSP is - he wouldn't give Johny a rematch in a fight MOST people thought GSP lost, instead choosing to take his ball and go home, and now that he's walked away, he throws the UFC under the bus. Lack of class. Complete lack of class by GSP on this one) and also to expect his opponents to use a testing facility that GSP has a relationship with. Johny has NEVER failed a drug test and yet GSP, who has been angered by fighters who have insinuated that GSP was on something (Penn, Hughes) is now doing the same thing to Hendricks. Again, a classless act by GSP.
Sadly you are over stating his "relationship" with VADA! Anyway your post is a I hate GSP post.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #198
devilfisted

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsesrod View Post
Don't forget the big check that the testing company was writing him.
He paid VADA, you guys are just to stupid for words.