Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #91
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottathon View Post
I haven't watched enough Pride to know that this was an issue. Interesting. Maybe it's reasonable to assume that the people who lamented Carlos Condit's tactics versus Nick Diaz and said "if only it was in a ring" haven't seen much Pride either.
There were some fighters who were great at staying out of corners, moving opponents into them, and unloading. Cro Cop ruled at it. Rampage was great at it. Hell, you had other fighters who could use the ring in entertaining ways: who didn't like watching Ricardo Arona shoot a double, then run a guy into the ropes at 100 miles an hour, bouncing him off into a giant pro-wrestling-style slam? But, the simple fact is that there's innumerable ways to have a boring, stolid MMA fight in any fighting venue.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #92
613MMAfan

Blue Belt

Jordan, Mein is going to carve up Pyle on the feet and get everyone excited again about his potential after getting underrated because of his loss to Brown and his hesitant, just trying to get the win performance in his last fight, correct?

Also, people don't give Brown enough credit for how skilled he actually is. I'm tired of hearing people say he's some sloppy brawler who's super tough and that's why he wins. Brown actually throws very accurate straight punches at range and throws a lot of them which is why he was tagging Mein so often, despite the fact that Mein is actually pretty good defensively and has good head movement/footwork. Lawler did an amazing job of tagging Brown with lightning fast counters as Brown was throwing punches which made Brown hesitant for the rest of the fight.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #93
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earino View Post
Jordan; Due to an unfortunate coffee cup incident, and fantastic legal representation, you find yourself on the winning side of a 500 million dollar lawsuit. Flush with cash, you never have to work again. However, you wouldn't mind still playing around in the MMA space. It's not enough money for you to go toe-to-toe with the UFC, but it sure is enough money for you to play around with and you can lose 20-100 million without any real repercussions.

a) do you still stay involved in MMA somehow?
b) what do you do in MMA?
Buy every MMA website, consolidating Sherdog as the MMA media monopoly more or less.

Also, I'd resurrect Shock Fights.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #94
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613MMAfan View Post
Jordan, Mein is going to carve up Pyle on the feet and get everyone excited again about his potential after getting underrated because of his loss to Brown and his hesitant, just trying to get the win performance in his last fight, correct?

Also, people don't give Brown enough credit for how skilled he actually is. I'm tired of hearing people say he's some sloppy brawler who's super tough and that's why he wins. Brown actually throws very accurate straight punches at range and throws a lot of them which is why he was tagging Mein so often, despite the fact that Mein is actually pretty good defensively and has good head movement/footwork. Lawler did an amazing job of tagging Brown with lightning fast counters as Brown was throwing punches which made Brown hesitant for the rest of the fight.
Mein's a slow starter who feels his foes out. Pyle is a sneaky good inside fighter. I can see Pyle sticking him up against the fence and winning rounds. I really love how that fight coalesced out of two nixed fights. Very neat style match for each guy.

And, agreed completely on Brown. And, worse for Brown, people don't appreciate the technique and strategy of Lawler because he gets stereotyped as a power-punching lunkhead, which doesn't really represent how dialled into the tactical side of MMA he is.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #95
Wrathsoul

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Breen View Post
Non-sequitur, but grab that new White Lung album. People complain I only shoutout hip-hop on air and on social media, but here's some contemporary Canadian punk rock at its finest. Vancouver, raise up.
Never understood why Canadian rock seems to lack some of the hardcore edge that you get from US counterparts. Bands like Nickelback and Thousand Foot Crutch always seem like they're holding something back and never getting to that 'I am shit, but so is the world' level. I guess maybe Three Days Grace has a little of that.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #96
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

That'll do it for our Friday return, team. Same time next week, bring your friends. I'll even let you have the Pepperidge Farm bread. Pepperidge Farm bread, that stuff is fancy.

Your love letters, credit card numbers and mail bombs always go to jbreen@sherdog.com, or on twitter, @JordanBreen.

Stay locked to Sherdog.com for all your WSOF 12, CES MMA, Jewels and Showtime Boxing coverage this weekend, enjoy some fights however you might see 'em. Peace.

Closed Thread