Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
rampage4ever

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
doubt anyone on this forum knows the answer to that, all the profesional fighters that used to be here got tired of the forum 5 years ago.

Now we got gamers ;)

Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Donny White

He would've been in the elite. But there are too many beasts on the world scene to safely say he would've medal'd.

Donny White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #23
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage4ever View Post
doubt anyone on this forum knows the answer to that, all the profesional fighters that used to be here got tired of the forum 5 years ago.

Now we got gamers ;)

Why even bother hitting "submit reply" in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny White
But there are too many beasts on the world scene to safely say he would've medal'd.
That's really not true, unless you mean GOLD medal. But it is very, very likely that he would have placed second or third at the least.

The only wrestler who might've competed at those Games in the 96kg division that Cormier would not have a very realistic chance of beating is the aforementioned Gatsalov, who, despite having three wins over Cormier, didn't compete due to an injury.

Beyond that, Cormier could have beaten any of the wrestlers in his weight at those Games: he had a previous win over the silver medalist, Kazakhstan's Taimuraz Tigiev, and he beat bronze medalist Khetag Gazumov at the 2005 Yarygin Grand Prix where DC placed first.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #24
J180

Purple Belt

J180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #25
surgeyou1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J180 View Post
Lol are Jones nuthuggers really making fun of Cormier's credentials?

Better than losing to Matt Riddle

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

"It's normal." - Anderson Silva
surgeyou1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeyou1 View Post
In addition to ignoring the fact that DC had previously beaten both the silver and bronze medalists at 96kg in the Beijing Olympics during international competition, yes.

Now, I'm not a professional fighter (*cough*), but I am pretty sure that beating not one but two medalists at an Olympics in which one was set to compete, is a fairly accurate predictor of likelihood to medal at those Olympics.

Last edited by Steve08; 08-09-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #27
Dart Feld

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08 View Post
In addition to ignoring the fact that DC had previously beaten both the silver and bronze medalists at 96kg in the Beijing Olympics during international competition, yes.

Now, I'm not a professional fighter (*cough*), but I am pretty sure that beating two medalists at an Olympics in which one was set to compete is a fairly accurate predictor of likelihood to medal at those Olympics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeyou1 View Post

Better than losing to Matt Riddle

Whoa, calm down guys. It's just an in-joke.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
riddleofsteel
The Usurper

Location: On the road again. Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
vCash: 412
Cormier had won a bronze at the 2007 Worlds, so he was a strong medal contender but his weight class had a lot of evenly matched wrestlers, he had both wins & losses to several of the competitors.

Wrestling brackets aren't seeded, so top guys could end up meeting in the 1st round and one can be eliminated early (if the guy that beat you makes it to the finals then you get a chance to wrestle back for bronze, if the guy that beat you loses before the finals then you are out of the tournament).
And wrestling, like judo, allows a limited number of participants, generally 18-20 per weight division and 1 per country, so countries go through qualifying tournaments before the Olympics unlike some other Olympic events that allow 35-50 participants and multiple entries per country. I mention that because many of the wrestlers that qualify for the olympics have wins & losses against each other, it isn't like some events in which the 1st heat/round/match is pretty much a given for the top guys.

Cormier's bracket for 2008, matches past the 1st are based on the rest of the bracket going as it actually did:

1st round Cormier would have wrestled Michel Batista, Cuba, they both had victories over each other.

Next match would have been against Kazakhstan's Tigiev, who did beat Batista and ended up with the silver medal. Cormier did have a win over Tigiev. Also Tigiev had been on the Russian world team in 2003, went 1-1 at worlds while Cormier placed 5th (they didn't wrestle each other at the 2003 worlds).

If Cormier beat Tigiev, next match would have been against Georgia's Gogshelidze. Gogshelidze was a world champion in 2001 and runner up in 2006. Gogshelidze also had a win over Cormier.

Next would have been the finals, against Russia's Shirvani Muradov, who did win the gold in 2008.
Muradov was on fire in 2008, he beat Gatsalov at the Yarygin tournament and at Russian Nationals. Gatsalov was a 2004 Olympic gold medalist and world champion in 2005, 2006 & 2007.

If he was in the wrestlebacks, he might have had to beat Iran's Saeid Ebrahimi for a bronze. Ebrahimi beat Cormier at the 2007 worlds and went on to place 2nd and also was 4-0 against Cormier. Opponent would depend if he lost his 2nd or 3rd match: 2nd, it would have been Gogshelidze. 3rd, then Ebrahimi.

Given that bracket he could have lost his first match and been done or gone on to win silver (I don't think he would have beaten Miradov).
He wasn't a sure medalist.

Rothwell TKO Overeem in 2:19. Mitrione KO Lewis in 0:41.
Someone forgot to tell Rick Story he was supposed to buy into the hype.
Eddie who?

Last edited by riddleofsteel; 08-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #29
riddleofsteel
The Usurper

Location: On the road again. Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
vCash: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08 View Post

Now, I'm not a professional fighter (*cough*), but I am pretty sure that beating not one but two medalists at an Olympics in which one was set to compete, is a fairly accurate predictor of likelihood to medal at those Olympics.
But given the bracket, Cormier's first match was against a guy he had wins and losses against. 2nd match was a guy he had previously beaten (guy went on to win Olympic Silver).
3rd match would have been against Gogshelidze, who had beaten Cormier before.

Also the eventual bronze medalist that Cormier had beaten, Gazyumov, would have been in the other bronze medal match: like judo, wrestling has 2 bronze matches per weight division. Cormier would have been up against someone else for his bronze medal match, either the Iranian or Georgian.

Rothwell TKO Overeem in 2:19. Mitrione KO Lewis in 0:41.
Someone forgot to tell Rick Story he was supposed to buy into the hype.
Eddie who?
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #30
LongSlenderBody
I just love to Stand and Bang

He had a better chance than he did in 2004 according to my wrestling coaches at the time.

WAR MENDES!!

Fedor
Hughes
Randy
Chuck
Rampage
McGreGOAT
LongSlenderBody is offline   Reply With Quote