Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #51
Saskatoonmike
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
Yeah, I'd rather watch GSP defend his belt at 170 more than anything, really. 155 doesn't interest me, and I actually believe GSP would be worse off there than at 170.

A catch-weight fight at 177lbs against Anderson would also be fine by me, but I doubt GSP would take the fight, as Anderson is actually rumoured to be a fantastic weight cutter, believe it or not, and would quite possibly be able to enter the fight weighing the same he would've if it was sanctioned at 185.
Yes,

Before Anderson was showing any interest in a fight with GSP (which he has only shown since just before GSP/Shields) both of Anderson's managers in seperate interviews commented on questions about a potential Anderson/GSP fight with much skepticism and suggesting it would be a bad fight for GSp to take due to Andersons SIZE. They even commented that at a CW, it would be bad for GSp as 'Anderson has this bio type where he loses and regains weight very easily and he would be the same size in a CW fight as he is in his MW fights'.

Saskatoonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #52
BGDDYKWL

Brown Belt

He means it would be easier for him to lose muscle and cut to 155 than to add 15 pounds of muscle and step into the cage at 205. I think that's probably true.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #53
OldManGrip

Brown Belt

Gsp's height is what limited him to not being able to move up, if he was actually 5'11 like they list him instead of about 5'9 5'9.5 he could bulk to 200 and might do ok. A lot of the people at mw that are listed at 6foot are more like 5'11

OldManGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #54
Pancake Sprawl
WAR IGOR!!!11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJustGotChaeld View Post
Anderson did not go up and fight the BEST LHWs, he fought average guys. So why do you feel GSP has to go up and fight the very best, when AS does not? Hypocritical.
Um ...probably because Anderson Silva actually flat out said he doesn't want to fight Jon Jones?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #55
Pancake Sprawl
WAR IGOR!!!11

Quote:
This is the exact same reason why I think Silva should just fight at heavyweight. Not cutting weight is obviously easier than cutting all that weight to make MW.

How do you have a 2003 join date and make a post like this?
Quote:
I agree, that is why I started the Aldo vs. Cain petition. Size does not matter! My gf tells me that all the time, and I trust her. Although she doesn't watch MMA so not sure why she brings it up ....
Have you never seen BJ Penn fight Lyoto Machida? Frankie Edgar has beaten guys much bigger then he is. The reason is because these guys are confident in their skills to fight against bigger men. I think GSP understands with his style of fighting he needs to have the power advantage. So all I'm wondering is why he doesn't just say, "I don't want to fight at 185lb guys". People keep bringing up the Anderson fight because he keeps giving these roundabout "well if you give me a couple years I could be at optimal weight for 185lbs" He doesn't really say he won't fight them, and he doesn't really say he will fight them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Sprawl View Post
I don't know why he doesn't just say he's not going to go up to 185lb instead of always beating around the bush.

He should just say he'll never be at optimal shape for 185lb. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to fight above your weight, especially when you're the champ.
Yes, please read, thank you.

Last edited by Pancake Sprawl; 04-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Pancake Sprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #56
van vivas

Orange Belt

I just dont understand what is the problem of wanting to be the best WW for the longest time possible. Obviously GSP is in the perfect weight class for him so why push for him to move? This is not boxing where the weight classes are separeted by 5 lbs.

Obviously i would like to see superfights like everyone else, but i dont need to, so for me if GSP stays at WW forever trying to set his records high its great.

On Topic: Ofc he meant it was easier being at an optimal weight at LW than at MW. But out of context it is easier for him to fight at MW than at LW.

van vivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #57
zzzdom

Blue Belt

No GSP wouldn't be too tall for LW and I am sure he could make that weight if he wanted to. But as far as I concerned he should stay at WW, there are still so many fights out there..

GSP should never fight at MW.. Adding any more muscles to his frame would kill his speed and his cardio. And those saying that he's already at optimal MW weight are crazy, just because he makes the MW limit, doesn't mean he should fight there.

99% of MW's are about 205 when they enter that cage.. GSP would look like a dwarf compared to them. Why fight bigger guys and risk losing when you can fight other fighters about your size and keep winning.

Super fights should remain dream fights, unless fighters themselves decide to go for it. They shouldn't be pressured to accept such fights... No champ should be pressured to fight another champ from the heavier class. Fighting a average fighter from a heavier class is different than going for the champ who is dominating the said class.. It's like switching from a scooter to a sport bike, 2 different animals.

The day when we see super fights between heavier classes champs will be the day the champs retire..

zzzdom is offline   Reply With Quote