Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
stin4tw

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fresca View Post
To be honest I don't think there are "too many fights" or cards or whatever. The UFC could run fights 24 hours a day for all I care. I just want the PPVs to be stacked. I should be able to tell the difference between a PPV and a Fight Night.
Agreed. I strongly think that they should 'stack' the PPV's and FOX cards with title fights and #1 / fringe contender fights. Leave FS1 / FS2 fights for up and comers / mid tier guys, or even have a 'StrikeForce Contenders' style going on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Btw, Jouban fight for FOTN / POTN tonight. Fight was incredible.

^^ 98% of Sherdog's MMAth

8/23/12 - Official "WTF" Day | 30
stin4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
Rambo121

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stin4tw View Post
The main point I want to make is that we as fans get to watch the next potential champions and top contenders grow on a PPV prelims or Fight Night before they make it to the big stage.

Just about every current champ except for Rousey started off on a PPV prelim or Fight Night / WEC show. Included the WEC since that's where most of the current top lighter weights came from after UFC absorbed them.

(HW) Cain - Prelims, UFC 83.

(LHW) JBJ - Prelims,UFC 87.

(MW) Weidman - Main Card, UFC Live 3
* Came to UFC in as one of their biggest prospects and ROC MW champion.

(WW) Hendricks - Main Card, WEC 37 / Main Card, UFC 101.
* Only current champ aside from Aldo and Rousey to have first UFC fight on PPV.

(LW) Pettis - Prelims, WEC 41 / Co-Main, TUF Finale 13
* Coming in as WEC LW Champ, took the fight instead of waiting on Frankie/Maynard III IIRC.

(FW) Aldo - Prelims, WEC 34 (w/ Cruz the fight before) / Co-Main, UFC 129
* Came in as inaugural UFC FW Champion.

(BW) Dillashaw - BW Finalist, TUF 14 Finale

(FlW) Johnson - Prelims, WEC 48 / Facebook Prelim Card, UFC 126

(WBW) Rousey - Only champ on this list to headline a PPV as inaugural UFC WBW Champion. Interesting note though - she started off Strikeforce on their "Challengers" series.

Just enjoy the fights, Sherdog. The more the better. If you think there are too many, shy away from the forums and shows for a couple weeks. If you don't want to shell out $60, head to a sports bar, get some grub and enjoy yourself. Either that or keep whining about 'too many cards', 'watered down cards with no-names', or 'fighters not being paid enough' while you continue to brag about streaming PPV's and say the UFC is dying because numbers are down.
Ya, I have no problem with prelims and actually enjoy them most of the time.

All I am asking for is 3 solid fights per card, not 1.

And would a UFC Weight Class tournament be too much to ask for? (doesn't have to be the same night) But no, having a stacked event would be too much to ask for.

I pay $60 bucks for the PPV and its getting out of hand

Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Eusung

Yellow Belt

The problem is that they are using fights that would have made decent main card fights on a ppv to headline these fight nights.

It's enough to give the fight nights one okay fight, but still not enough to get me to watch.

Then I find that the actual PPVs are watered down with fights that belong on a fight night, while being headlined by a title fight or no. 1 contender fight.

Eusung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Eusung

Yellow Belt

and don't deny it - the big names today - even when they are on the prelims, still had way more hype behind them than the prelim fighters of today.

we knew to expect big things from Cain because of the word of mouth coming out of the Bay area.

Eusung is offline   Reply With Quote