Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
wompuscatwilly

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billynjimmylee View Post
There needs to be a better incentive for young hungry athlete's to start Training MMA and wanting to join the UFC . At the moment we're still not getting as much "New Blood" as I'd like to see .

Chris Weidman who I love .. Is seen as "the New Breed" and he's like what 28 / 29 ? Except for Rory and Michael Mcdonald we have very few top top fighters I'm their early to mid twentys .

That's a problem when you think Drose was MVP at 24 , Kobe was winning titles in His 20's , So was Dwade . In football (the real football not Handegg) the best players like Messi , Ronaldo hit their prime about 26 or sometimes lower.

People say age doesn't matter in MMA because it's more about the accumalted damage which is true . But we must ask ourselves why we don't have a new influx of young fighters every year as every other sport (even Boxing with Broner , Eubank Jr , kid Galahad etc) does ?
Better Pay will entice better fighters to join the UFC and MMA in General . That's my opinion anyway.
Most MMA fighters don't "peak" until their early thirties. That's why it doesn't seem like a huge influx of talent for guys in their early twenties.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
1strikeclothing

Black Belt

Not bad at all.

PM for http://www.virusintl.com/index.html discounts.
1strikeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #33
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

vCash: 11777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
So, if we were to speculate on his income for 2013:

UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen (disclosed) - 27k
UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2 (disclosed) - 60k
Sponsorship (assumed average, both fights) - 37k
Total (excluding camp expenses) - 124k

I don't know how much he uses on a camp, but it seems possible that I had a better year economically than Lauzon, since I don't have business expenses. Considering that Lauzon gets paid twice as much as undercard fighters (and probably gets a lot more in sponsorship), MMA seems like a pretty bad profession economically unless you make it to the top-15 or so, or get a lot of bonuses.
Most people don't make six figures in a year. That's an economic fact. Netting a hundred grand doesn't make you crazy rich (don't I know it), but its not a "pretty bad profession" either.

For some reason when it comes to athletes, fans assume they should all quite wealthy, when in fact, most MMA fighters haven't done anything that would merit that kind of pay.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

vCash: 11777
Quote:
There needs to be a better incentive for young hungry athlete's to start Training MMA and wanting to join the UFC . At the moment we're still not getting as much "New Blood" as I'd like to see .

Chris Weidman who I love .. Is seen as "the New Breed" and he's like what 28 / 29 ? Except for Rory and Michael Mcdonald we have very few top top fighters I'm their early to mid twentys .

That's a problem when you think Drose was MVP at 24 , Kobe was winning titles in His 20's , So was Dwade . In football (the real football not Handegg) the best players like Messi , Ronaldo hit their prime about 26 or sometimes lower.

People say age doesn't matter in MMA because it's more about the accumalted damage which is true . But we must ask ourselves why we don't have a new influx of young fighters every year as every other sport (even Boxing with Broner , Eubank Jr , kid Galahad etc) does ?
Better Pay will entice better fighters to join the UFC and MMA in General . That's my opinion anyway.
Although I see this asserted often, there's very little evidence that the amount of money made by pros in a sport is a big incentive for people to enter the sport. Young athletes get involved in sports like football and basketball in high school or middle school because of the popularity of those sports and the social status associated with being on those teams. Junior high quarterbacks may dream of the Super Bowl, but it's rarely their main reason for participation.

It seems to me that what drives athlete pay scales isn't inter-sport competition nearly so much as intra-sport competition.

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #35
Substance Abuse

Good for Joe.

Running Man Condit - ☑
K1 Shields and Hughes - ☑
Team Alpha Midget - ☑
Motivated Penn - ☑

Won NFL & MMA Plat Pick 'Ems!
Substance Abuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
billynjimmylee

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Pedro View Post
Although I see this asserted often, there's very little evidence that the amount of money made by pros in a sport is a big incentive for people to enter the sport. Young athletes get involved in sports like football and basketball in high school or middle school because of the popularity of those sports and the social status associated with being on those teams. Junior high quarterbacks may dream of the Super Bowl, but it's rarely their main reason for participation.

It seems to me that what drives athlete pay scales isn't inter-sport competition nearly so much as intra-sport competition.
Maybe we need MMA to be taught at schools then ? Say from 11-18 ? Then the best athletes could transition straight from school to an MMA organisation ?

Or Maybe by putting MMA into the olympics ?

You make good points though and I appreciate how you come at it with a different perspective , very thought provoking thank you .

Also to the other Poster who said MMA fighters usually peak in their 30's .. Why is this ? I believe it's because they start later .. In Basketball and every other sport I mentioned .. People usually peak much younger . Is there a correlation between Fighters peaking at a higher age in MMA ? Perhaps .. Or perhaps it's because they start so late therefore it seems like their peaking later ?

The sample source is too small at the moment (BJ , Rory , Michael Macdonald .. Jon Jones ) but I'd wager if more fighters came in to the UFC at 18-21 that we'd have more fighters winning titles early to mid 20's (Jones is the only fighter to win a title under 24 I believe?) We'll see .. It's all conjecture but an interesting debate nontheless ?

I hope you agree . Thank you both for stimulating me intellectually , today I've both learned something and had interesting Debate on Sherdog .... I am shocked.

BJ Penn
Georges St Pierre
Rory Mcdonald
Alexander Gustafsson
Ronda Rousey
Khabib Nurmagomedov
Habib Jackson
Greg Urry
Andre Winner
James Pullen
GOAT Connor Mcgregor
billynjimmylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #37
wompuscatwilly

Green Belt

Quote:
Maybe we need MMA to be taught at schools then ? Say from 11-18 ? Then the best athletes could transition straight from school to an MMA organisation ?

Or Maybe by putting MMA into the olympics ?

You make good points though and I appreciate how you come at it with a different perspective , very thought provoking thank you .

Also to the other Poster who said MMA fighters usually peak in their 30's .. Why is this ? I believe it's because they start later .. In Basketball and every other sport I mentioned .. People usually peak much younger . Is there a correlation between Fighters peaking at a higher age in MMA ? Perhaps .. Or perhaps it's because they start so late therefore it seems like their peaking later ?

The sample source is too small at the moment (BJ , Rory , Michael Macdonald .. Jon Jones ) but I'd wager if more fighters came in to the UFC at 18-21 that we'd have more fighters winning titles early to mid 20's (Jones is the only fighter to win a title under 24 I believe?) We'll see .. It's all conjecture but an interesting debate nontheless ?

I hope you agree . Thank you both for stimulating me intellectually , today I've both learned something and had interesting Debate on Sherdog .... I am shocked.
IMO in MMA experience is greater than speed. By the time we hit our thirties our bodies has slowed a little. That's why in most sports there seems to be a decline around that age. Or your body doesn't recover as fast & a long season takes it's toll. In MMA they have ample time for their bodies to recover so they don't deal with the strains of a long season. They also don't rely solely on hand speed but rather a cumulation of training & experience. Maybe you're right though, as time passes & more youth practice MMA we will see a trend of younger guys starting to peak.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Toxxus

vCash: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
So, if we were to speculate on his income for 2013:

UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen (disclosed) - 27k
UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2 (disclosed) - 60k
Sponsorship (assumed average, both fights) - 37k
Total (excluding camp expenses) - 124k

I don't know how much he uses on a camp, but it seems possible that I had a better year economically than Lauzon, since I don't have business expenses. Considering that Lauzon gets paid twice as much as undercard fighters (and probably gets a lot more in sponsorship), MMA seems like a pretty bad profession economically unless you make it to the top-15 or so, or get a lot of bonuses.
That's the disclosed pay. Numerous fighters have indicated on a repeat basis that the back room bonuses are a substantial (some saying more than double) the disclosed amount.

Also, Joe Lauzon is tied with Anderson Silva for most "Of the Night" bonuses so he's made an extra $600,000 on just those. Trust me - Lauzon is not getting paid junk.