Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #51
Ughugh
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyandjia View Post
Right now he's a submission wrestler. If he wants to be champ, he's got to improve his striking. He's got great movement: distancing, fluidity, calmness, the Machida/Karate-ish style is obviously working for him. But he needs to be more dangerous, his offense is still lacking. I think he may improve though, and I'm rooting for him. Awesome fighter to watch
All of this. He's obviously physically very talented with legit movement, grappling and killer instinct bar none; but in terms of striking he needs to use a greater range of punches and not rely as much on karate style single strikes which will ultimately cost him in the long run against the elite.

He's also a bit too comfortable at maintaining his distance so up close he's very vulnerable/uncomfortable. His grappling prowess will ofc alleviate much of the willingness of his opponents to step into short range but add a wrestler with striking skills and subtract the grappling advantage and he might be in for a seriously rough night. A guy like Lawler standing in the pocket and slipping his straight punches with head movement would for instance be... not so good. I'm much less worried about supposed monsters like Woodley who would spend all night treading water while being poked in the face repeatedly plus get smothered on the ground.

I'm on the bandwagon though and think he'll improve. Might take a beating for him to get there but eventually I see him as a champ, possibly at LW.

Ughugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #52
Valdemar

Orange Belt

For me the obvious is the weight. Isn't it inevitable that he moves down? He might as well do it now

Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #53
Dooze

Blue Belt

I imagine he won't move down until he actually loses, and then it'd have to be due to fighting one of the bigger guys like Rory and not being able to deal with the size.

His striking is fine, anyway. I wouldn't say he needs to improve it, he just needs to increase his output a bit more. His movement and control of distance is great, and he's pretty fast. Last night he was landing the most significant shots of the fight, mostly via straight punches. He can be just a bit too patient on the feet though, which makes fights appear a bit closer than they are.

Thought Cummings had the right idea last night, a clinch heavy approach will be the best way to beat Nelson. He's pretty strong, but a top tier fighter that's one of the bigger welterweights could be a threat if they have a good controlling clinch game along with a good ground game to survive for a minute on top if they take Gunnar down from the clinch to control on the ground towards the end of rounds.

Anyway, a step up in competition is obviously needed. I'd like to see him face Jake Ellenberger or Maia (assuming he gets past Pyle). Maia has gone back to his roots since the drop to 170 and wouldn't change that if he faced Gunnar. I think we'd get a treat of a fight with a lot of it being ground orientated. I'd be happy with either fight assuming he doesn't want to drop to 155 just yet.

Dooze is offline   Reply With Quote