Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
MustangSally

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
When you refer to cycling, I'm assuming you are implying something with much higher standards was still rife with cheating? You are definitely onto something.
Yes, exactly! Cycling was held to a much higher standard yet, rife with cheating and seemingly many people must have suspected/known something wasn't right but still chose to do nothing, maybe in fear of being 'frozen out'

MustangSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
MustangSally

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshR86 View Post
The Reem was redlighted by the commision, and had to take surprise tests during the Brock Lesnar bout, this is when he flew to Holand to avoid the surprise testing on the basis that his mother was ill, he then failed a surprise drug test on his return, it just goes to show you how effective surprise testing is, where fighters would leave the country to avoid them or stop using them, it would be a game changer, to bad the
UFC has no interests in this, and i don't blame since they'd lose more then 60% of there roster
Thats quite a worrying though

MustangSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #23
waiguoren

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
You're welcome, and I can assure you it's all true.

Spouse gone throughout the week has lead to lots of peer review article and AC guideline reading. I know, I know, I'm bored so I do something that would bore most people regardless.

When you refer to cycling, I'm assuming you are implying something with much higher standards was still rife with cheating? You are definitely onto something.

What I think most MMA fans don't realize is that blood tests alone (only a couple $100 per fighter) would greatly increase the transparency of athletes. Add one, mandatory random test, per fighter, per year, on Zuffas tab and you would be stunned as to how many it would catch and how effective it would be in curbing the behaviour.

Remember next time you hear Dana/Lorenzo tow the "we're tested by the government" line, that they are only appealing to the supposed moral authority and long arm of the law.

It's code for, pre and post fight urine based tests. And the most important component, no license, no test. Period.
All of this. If you're looking for a gentler introduction to this stuff than reading peer-review articles, check out Victor Conte's appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience.

waiguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiguoren View Post
2) Good question. The T/E ratio should be easy to keep within bounds. In that case, the only way that I know of to detect the unauthorized use of synthetic testosterone is to use a carbon isotope ratio (CIR) test to distinguish exogenous testosterone from endogenous testosterone. The NAC does not ordinarily perform this test as it is relatively expensive (based on my research, $400-$700 per test). Victor Conte has called repeatedly for the widespread adoption of this test in professional sports.

EDIT: In this video, Conte refers to the failure to adopt the CIR test and the continued adherence to the T/E ratio test as "the largest loophole in anti-doping".
I know man.

It irritates the F out of me that they use the T/E test and then when someone flunks it, we get that silly argument that T/E ratio doesn't prove high T!

If the test doesn't prove anything then they should institute an alternative testing format!

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote