Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #131
Pem123

Brown Belt

vCash: 500

“When you’re the best fighter in the world today, they don’t call you a great fighter. They call you Chael Sonnen, beat me IF YOU CAN"
Pem123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #132
Codpiece

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukai View Post
I disagree with this. Gus had the reach and size that Jones had and with an incredibly diverse array of striking, really threw Jon for a loop... You could tell Jones was incredibly uncomfortable getting overhooks into someone that large and Gus' jab really kept Jones at bay, plus Jones was overconfident in his kicking ability.

Cain won't HAVE those advantages. He's smaller and his striking is much worse than Gus. He's a totally different fighter... four inches shorter, arms are also four inches shorter... He'll try to grind into Jones but this is where Jones is comfortable--- a shorter opponent where he can get a real good grip, use his reach to get his opponent reacting and then shoot in for a double... Cain's striking isn't really reactive, he could potentially knock Jones out but he isn't deterring Jone's takedowns. Cain's TDD isn't testing, and you are massively underrating Jones' wrestling.

Plus you have to remember that at heavyweight, Jones is gonna have a totally different frame. He'll be much stronger.

There are too many what ifs, but I can see Jones taking it.
Cain's striking is 'much worse' than Gus'? Based on what? I do think Gus is a better boxer, but Cain still out-boxed JDS and he did so by having the threat of TDs in JDS' mind at all times. He'd still possess that threat against Jones.

Not only that but as good as Jones' wrestling is there is no way he would be taking Cain down. Cain would be stronger than even a 245 lbs Jones, plus he has a low centre of gravity compared to Jones, which would benefit him greatly in a TD or TDD situation.

Cain would get Jones on the ground and maul him, either until he gets a GnP TKO or until Jones is so weary that he is completely ineffective. It'd be an ugly match for Jones.

I am Carlos Condit's most reasonable fanboy.
Codpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #133
n0thinglasts

Orange Belt

vCash: 50
JDS with a nice punch again, which is more likely to not land than it is, but it has happened once and can happen again. I don't see anyone else beating him.

n0thinglasts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #134
mohawkblood420

Brown Belt

Location: Akwesasne Mohawk Rez(Northern New York,Southern Ontario,Western Quebec)
vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinkanPo View Post
I like how he kick Big Tim like he was a piece of trash.
Hey,who doesnt? Lmao

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #135
blocnoir

Purple Belt

No offense but Barnett isn't doing anything to Cain.

IMO Werdum's the chosen one

blocnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #136
campbecc

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig500 View Post
Maybe Overeem can do the job in 3 minutes before he gasses.
No joke people discredit Overeem because his cardio sucks but Overeem could stop Cain early. Of course if it went past the first round without Overeem at least severely hurting Cain he'd get mauled.

I'd favor Cain for sure but Overeem would probably have a better chance than most fighters.

campbecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #137
Kotoamatsukami

Green Belt

vCash: 400

WW: Lim | DHK
LW: Diaz | Melendez
FW: Kawajiri | TKZ | Hioki
BW: Faber | Kang
FlW: McCall | Horiguchi
Kotoamatsukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #138
Kneeuinthenutz

Gold Belt

Werdum has the best shot. I think it's the most dangerous match up there is for Cain.

Barnett is a fine choice also, just not quite as dangerous off his back. I don't think Cain would be productive on the ground against Werdum.

Kneeuinthenutz is offline   Reply With Quote