Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #41
Y0cc3

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7437 View Post
Legit win? You think he rigged a fight? In reality, his last win was 3 years before his MMA debut. 2 years since his last fight, a title fight against Cotto.

Sylvia's fight with Mercer was changed to a boxing match 3 days before the fight. He came to box, and found out that a real boxer will slaughter an MMA fighter in boxing. A fight that was actually expected to be an MMA match, and trained for as an MMA match, was his fight with Kimbo. Kimbo wasnt stupid, and had no intention of boxing with Mercer. It doesnt take a long history of wrestling to take down a guy who doesnt wrestle at all.

UFC 1 was 22 years ago. We saw style vs style already, a long time ago. Boxers did great against other stand up styles, did poorly against grapplers.
-What rigging means? His last win wasn't legit, it was like a win over Bob Sapp after he started throwing fights. His opponent was in 4 fight losing streak and went on to lose his next 14 fights. Hardly a legit win.
-I know, and I think Sylvia is better fighter than old fat Mercer but the fact still remains:
Mercer KO'd top-10 former UFC champ in 9 seconds and that's it. Sylvia wasn't boxing, he threw a kick. Top-10 guy should beat retired boxer in MMA even if you were trained for MMA fight. This is a shit stain in the canvas of MMA and only way to wipe it off is to beat one legit boxer in the hands of UFC fighter.
-UFC 1 had much better BJJ guy than boxer. Art Jimmerson was decent boxer but not enough to clean the image of Sylvia getting brutally KO'd by retired boxer.

What I'm not saying is that boxer would likely win, but I would just want to see how exactly the MMA guy would take him down and finish him and to see MMA finally get its respect from boxing world and back up the talks of how UFC fighters would beat Floyd etc.

Now we just have empty talk and a top-10 guy being KO'd by fat Mercer.

Y0cc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #42
DeJulez

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7437 View Post
Sylvia's fight with Mercer was changed to a boxing match 3 days before the fight. He came to box, and found out that a real boxer will slaughter an MMA fighter in boxing.
UFC 1 was 22 years ago. We saw style vs style already, a long time ago. Boxers did great against other stand up styles, did poorly against grapplers.
You got your shit backwards son. It was suppose to be a boxing match but was changed to a MMA match 3 days before they were suppose to fight, giving Mercer only 3 days to learn anything.

Mercer was pissed and said to Sylvia, "go ahead and try to take me down or do whatever you want, because Im walking in there and knocking your ass out and that's exactly what he did in 9 seconds.

Now you mentioned Kimbo, but Mercer even said that Kimbo came up to him before their exhibition match and said "lets keep it standing". Well Kimbo lied and went right for the takedown. The match was a pre-season match so its basically useless to analyze.

And in the early UFCs boxing did great. Laverne Clark went 4-1 in the UFC beating BJJ artists 4 separate times.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #43
vanzella
Brazilian Clean Sweep Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0cc3 View Post
Yes there is. Maybe you have different setting or something, but when I put "James Toney vs" it lists:
-James Toney vs Marvin Hagler
-James Toney vs Bernard Hopkins
-James Toney vs Roy Jones
-James Toney vs Randy Couture
-James Toney vs Randy Couture full fight

Also when I write "James Toney", first suggestion is "James Toney MMA".

Also calling me a troll is just so boring, calling someone a troll who clearly isn't is the laziest way of trying to make someone mad. If you are bothered by the topic of this thread you are free to talk about Cung Le's beach body, Jon Jones visiting WWE, OSP's striking, Ryan Bader's nickname and whatever you like. So that you won't be annoyed more by my thread, leave the thread so people with interest in the subject can concentrate on it and as you don't care about "troll" threads, you can read something you are interested in.
Suggestions are based on your behavior. Results are based on popularity. There are no relevant results about James Toney career in MMA or his fight with Couture.

If you search for Couture you can find more relevant results about his movie career than with his freakshow against Toney.

I'm not annoyed by your thread, but you are trying so hard to make a freakshow appear legit that I stopped to see your nonsense =)

Faithful Zealot of the Just Bleed God
vanzella is offline   Reply With Quote