Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #31
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 18490
I think a salary component is the best idea.

More money per fight is good and all, but if your opponent pulls out late notice and the fight is scratched you get nothing for it.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #32
mangokush

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
That is a great idea
Though i would make it a 2 fight contract with a minimum of 15k to show

Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #33
Aas Gutú Adéli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degen Gambler View Post
10 to show 4 to win. There's your 10K minimum without adding a dime to the UFC's fighter pay expense.
Not the best math!

If you have two guys fighting for 7/7 vs 7/7 that's 21 in pay

If you have two guys fighting for 10/4 vs 10/4 that's 28 in pay

Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #34
parker2004

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMBOB View Post
I think a salary component is the best idea.

More money per fight is good and all, but if your opponent pulls out late notice and the fight is scratched you get nothing for it.
Sort of true, the UFC has a certain amount of time to put you on another card, if they can't then they have to pay you. I don't know if all states do it but the NASC does.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #35
Power of Pain
Banned

A boxer who is not even ranked top 50 makes $30,000 in a undercard.

This is crazy. These MMA fighters struggle to get to the top because they still have to work full time and have to train with a average school schedule as Joe the Average Man does.

Power of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #36
fightdonttweet

Brown Belt

vCash: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmbrd View Post
If you read what Nate wrote in context, he's suggesting a base salary for newly signed fighters that guarantees you ~30k a year - or in other words, the most basic salary required to live a modest life.

In this respect, if you sign a new 3 fight contract, and are cut after your first appearance, the UFC still owes you the remainder of your show money for the two contracted fights you will not get.

His greater point was how many fighters he knows that are working as bartenders and such while signed to the biggest MMA org in the world, which means less prepared athletes and a lower common denominator for fight quality.

In my opinion Nate comes off entirely sane and reasonable with this concept, which would establish a base pay that doesn't break the bank but puts the lower end guys in a position to focus on fighting.
This would really only benefit non-UFC worthy fighters.

Doesnt help fighters who win fights, as they already make more than that. Doesn't help fans, as we'd be shown every fighter fight 3 times regardless of whether he's any good or not. And wouldn't help prospects as the UFC would be more wary about signing guys up to test them out if they were forced to pay them for a years worth of work.

Frankly, I don't see the point. The one group that would benefit is the one group the majority of us don't care about. I don't care whether a non-UFC caliber fighter gets paid a decent amount by the UFC. And I suspect I speak for most fans. The guys I want to see paid are the guys I'd actually want to watch fight. We should be focusing on what the elite and middle guys are getting paid. Not the guys who aren't good enough and are going to be going back to regular jobs like the rest of us anyway.

fightdonttweet is offline   Reply With Quote