Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #71
Timurd123

Brown Belt

vCash: 1500
It uses to happen in boxing all the time back in the golden days
This is how you build a fight , number one thing the general public wants to see when 2 men fight is animosity, a lot of people tune in for the skill but more tune in to see 2 guys who don't like each other fight

Timurd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #72
trident

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by machidafan99 View Post
So basically he's in the hypocrite camp like me. It was bad, it was ugly but it amps up the fight. Boxing fans at work were even taking about it.
How is that being hypocritical? He's being honest. People aren't required to have just one point of view. It's not debate class.

Events attended: UFC 151, UFC 176
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #73
JohnnyCanuck

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Rogan puts it correctly in an eloquent fashion.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #74
Vitorfan4lyfe**
Banned

Rogan kinda made it seem more than what it was. What about when Rogan heel commentates? He is supposed to be objective in the fights but his bias just bleeds through. Goldberg is such a yes man. Rogan needs someone in the booth to challenge him. Someone who's not going to agree on every fucking little thing he says. Put Pat Militech in there. If I could talk to Goldberg and tell him to grow some balls and call Rogan out when he starts his bias crap talk. We wouldn't need a third man in the booth. Right now we do..

*end rant*

Vitorfan4lyfe** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #75
Shaddows

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hto63 View Post
But fighting is their job, right? Their chosen profession.
Isn't that all there is to being a professional?

Celebrity athletes do, say and represent stupid things all the time. And it's their right to do, I understand they can act as role models but guess what, everyone makes mistakes, everyone has flaws and not everyone in the public eye deserves or even wants to be a role model.

These people became professional cagefighters because they like to fight, they don't want to be a self-censored media personality and probably don't know what to expect when they first go pro.

Like it or not, wanting to beat up and dominate another person for a living isn't "normal", it's not really compatible with the reality of life for most people, even fans. And certainly not the people already prejudiced against MMA. Fuck them, imo. The sport seems to be doing pretty OK without them.

Obviously, this topic about mainstream appeal of the sport is a very deep and complex one but as someone who thankfully doesn't have to concern himself with those things I can say EVERYTHING about this little brawl was good and nothing at all was bad, especially because nobody got injured. Looking forward to this fight even more now.
Sorry, but I disagree with you.
Professional means you behave professionally. That means you don't fight outside the place and the time you signed (a very lucrative contract) to do. And you do not jeopardize it neither.

You are also wrong comparing MMA with "other sports".
MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. And in most Martial Arts, the way you hold yourself is paramount.

So I am sorry to say this, but IMHO you are wrong in all accounts.
Fighting like animals like they did is just dumb, and also goes against everything that being a professional stands for.

1) it is out of place.
2) Innocent people could get hurt
3) They could get hurt and jeopardize their fight. Heck, they are the main event! That means an injury could cancel the event and impact every other fighter in that card!
4) it is simply bad publicity.

They fight? Yes, they do. it is their job.
But it is supposed to be inside the cage, with a referee and judges. And rules!

So all in all, they did everything wrong. And you allowing it does not help it neither.

Last edited by Shaddows; 08-08-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Shaddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #76
hto63

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddows View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with you.
Professional means you behave professionally. That means you don't fight outside the place and the time you signed (a very lucrative contract) to do. And you do not jeopardize it neither.

You are also wrong comparing MMA with "other sports".
MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. And in most Martial Arts, the way you hold yourself is paramount.
Professional means you do it for a living. Sure, most professions come with certain ethical obligations and even the UFC has a code of conduct but cage fighters don't have to have the same standards applied to them a doctor has for example.

A lot of cage fighters come from criminal and violent backgrounds and while it's good to have someone like Cub Swanson try and be a role model for troubled youth I don't think we can or should force anyone to change who they are.

You say the way you hold yourself in Martial Arts is paramount. That's true but as far as sports entertainment featuring those martial arts is concerned I think Floyd Mayweather would agree with you but put a very, very different spin on it, right?

Guys like Machida are true martial artists but the reality is for every Machida there are 10 guys who just like to beat another man up.

Quote:
So I am sorry to say this, but IMHO you are wrong in all accounts.
Fighting like animals like they did is just dumb, and also goes against everything that being a professional stands for.
Not if you're a professional badass. We all are just highly evolved animals and we all like to fight (and win). The UFC is sports entertainment, their job is to entertain. And I think Jones and DC did a pretty good job, very professional.

Quote:
1) it is out of place.
2) Innocent people could get hurt
3) They could get hurt and jeopardize their fight. Heck, they are the main event! That means an injury could cancel the event and impact every other fighter in that card!
4) it is simply bad publicity.
1) there's hardly a better place for a brawl than an intense staredown!
2) nobody did get hurt
3) nobody got hurt
4) There's two kinds of bad publicity. Actual bad publicity, like when somebody gets hurt. And the good kind of bad publicity, like in this case where the only ill effect would be not enough tickets to sell for the demand.

hto63 is offline   Reply With Quote