Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Worldwide MMA Discussion

Worldwide MMA Discussion This is the place for all non-UFC/WEC/Pride events, including Strikeforce, Affliction, HDNet Fights, Cage Rage, KOTC, ROTR, Shooto, and the like.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #111
Farbeyondthesun

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizer View Post
and how exactly do you know that?
It's very unlikely. Is that better for you?

Farbeyondthesun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #112
Meathead Jock
WAR ASKREN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbeyondthesun View Post
It's very unlikely. Is that better for you?
Lets see how Paul Daley does vs Lima and Koreskov, MMA Math isn't an exact science, but I think it'll just further show that Askren is elite when Paul can't beat them.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #113
Evangelion

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead Jock View Post
Lets see how Paul Daley does vs Lima and Koreskov, MMA Math isn't an exact science, but I think it'll just further show that Askren is elite when Paul can't beat them.
Ben is elite but Daley losing to either of those guys wouldn't prove it. Let's not forget Daley just lost to Yakovlev who is like the 30th ranked Ufc ww.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #114
Farbeyondthesun

Green Belt

Quote:
I agree that Daley would likely lose to both, that doesn't necessarily proves Askrens worth though. Daley hasn't looked good in a while. Ben is definitely a top WW, but I'm pretty much convinced that he's just another Jake Shields. His grappling is great, but his stand up is atrocious and he likely gets bombed out by the likes of Hendricks, Lawler, Lombard, Ellenburger, Woodley and maybe even MacDonald as a result.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #115
Meathead Jock
WAR ASKREN

Quote:
I agree that Daley would likely lose to both, that doesn't necessarily proves Askrens worth though. Daley hasn't looked good in a while. Ben is definitely a top WW, but I'm pretty much convinced that he's just another Jake Shields. His grappling is great, but his stand up is atrocious and he likely gets bombed out by the likes of Hendricks, Lawler, Lombard, Ellenburger, Woodley and maybe even MacDonald as a result.
Daley losing to them might not prove he is elite, but I don't get why you think:

Quote:
Shields has finished Daley, Robbie Lawler, and Pyle. Askren wouldn't finish any of those guys.....
I think he would support that Askren finishes one of those three. He might be "just another Jake Shields" but if GSP wasn't around (and he isn't now), then Jake Shields likely would have been a UFC champion at one point.

Plus Askren is much more engaging and creates interest more than Jake Shields ever tried to do outside of the cage.

I'll take a extremely colorful undefeated Jake Shields in the UFC anyday of the week, if you want to put him on a short leash if he drops a couple of fights to top talent, that is fine too.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #116
Farbeyondthesun

Green Belt

Quote:
Daley losing to them might not prove he is elite, but I don't get why you think:

I think he would support that Askren finishes one of those three. He might be "just another Jake Shields" but if GSP wasn't around (and he isn't now), then Jake Shields likely would have been a UFC champion at one point.

Plus Askren is much more engaging and creates interest more than Jake Shields ever tried to do outside of the cage.

I'll take a extremely colorful undefeated Jake Shields in the UFC anyday of the week, if you want to put him on a short leash if he drops a couple of fights to top talent, that is fine too.
Askren has ZERO killer instinct, he can only get mercy stoppages. Koreshkov and Amoussou probably could have saw the cards, although it wouldn't have been the best for their health. I don't think Ben finishes any of those guys, as his killer instinct is lacking, and his submission game isn't outstanding.

I'm not saying Askren doesn't deserve a shot in the UFC, I just don't think he's extra-extraordinary. But he deserves the chance to prove himself, regardless of the disdain that people like me have towards him.