Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
Phisher

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkle View Post
Anderson AND Corey Hill snapped their legs throwing a low kick. Lets ban them, right guys?
So did Brett Rodgers' most recent opponent.

http://gfycat.com/MiserlyBlueIberianbarbel

Let's not forget the guys who've had injuries from being on the receiving end of conventional low kicks like Robbie Lawler, who needed surgery on his knee after Manhoef blasted the shit out of his legs.

For all of the complaining about oblique kicks, I'm still waiting on one example of a serious injury that they've caused.

Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #22
trinerigelado2

Orange Belt

If you have a problem with oblique kicks but are ok with strikes that cause brain damage, it seems to me you have no understanding how much more important having a healthy brain is to the quality of a persons life than a healthy knee.

trinerigelado2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #23
Texan6533
Fastest Gun in the West

Well, it isn't against the rules and nothing has happened (yet) in the UFC because of them so I don't think there is going to be any rule changes because of them. That being said, I personally don't like them and think they are potentially (and unnecessarily) very dangerous for fighters' careers.

Best Fighters on The Planet Today:

1. Jon Jones
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Chris Weidman
4. TJ Dillashaw
5. Demetrious Johnson
Texan6533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #24

Black Belt

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangi View Post
A fight could easily be stopped with a correct oblique kick with enough force can pop there knee or worse. There wouldn't be any pressure on the UFC I believe due to it being deemed a legal move. As to how they handle it prob with a fight night bonus lol.
Would you like some Gifs of what is really dangerous and should be banned? armbars. so dangerous. such violence we dont need in cage fighting.

This is the real travesty of MMA. When will the UFC put safety first and ban armbars?

7437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #25

Black Belt

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
So did Brett Rodgers' most recent opponent.

http://gfycat.com/MiserlyBlueIberianbarbel

Let's not forget the guys who've had injuries from being on the receiving end of conventional low kicks like Robbie Lawler, who needed surgery on his knee after Manhoef blasted the shit out of his legs.

For all of the complaining about oblique kicks, I'm still waiting on one example of a serious injury that they've caused.
There arent any, not one has ever been injured in a fight by them. Rampage did bitch that his knee hurt after the jones fight, but thats rampage. Thats why this is a Jones hate thread.

7437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #26
NikFights
Banned

To break someone's legs backwards like that would need for them to hyper-extend it and then hit it with tremendous force. Supremely unlikely.

NikFights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #27
Texan6533
Fastest Gun in the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFights View Post
To break someone's legs backwards like that would need for them to hyper-extend it and then hit it with tremendous force. Supremely unlikely.
I don't know, I've seen a hyper extension happen just by someone stepping wrong. I think it could happen easier than you'd think, we just have guys that are looking for it in fights now and are making sure to keep their front legs bent.

Best Fighters on The Planet Today:

1. Jon Jones
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Chris Weidman
4. TJ Dillashaw
5. Demetrious Johnson
Texan6533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #28
Dirty Dik

Green Belt

I think the kick should be legal but yes when the oblique kick gruesomely injuries a knee it will be banned shortly after.

Dirty Dik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #29
TylerDrew

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFights View Post
Exactly, I'd imagine that throwing said kick with THAT much force would put the person throwing it in considerably more danger than the person he/she was aiming at, because you are coming forward and slightly down to throw an oblique kick with fight ending power, considering they aren't known for their accuracy I would say the person throwing theoretical kick would be in some serious dance of fight ending face destroying counter uppercut. Same reason you don't see a guy throw a teep with the same fight ending commitment as a side kick, it's a rather slow strike, low percentage, you are driving yourself toward your opponent with a hell of a lot of force, and most importantly you are in no position to counter after throwing it so your opponent can simply tee off on you if he reads it.

As Walker Texas Ranger said up there guys have their knees bent as a rule in...every form of fighting ever...so that is what's making it hard you aren't pushing against just the knee ligaments you are trying to push against some of the strongest muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the leg instead.

www.mmatrivia.com
TylerDrew is offline   Reply With Quote