Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #41
Shammon

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Cormier has better wrestling and is stronger in the clinch and stronger in general.

If DC employs wall and maul like how Cain does, then he can win. It must be such a luxury to be a light heavyweight and be able to train with the heavyweight champion. So far Cormier has dominated everyone and has hardly gotten a scratch, aside from a fist to the eye from Barnett lol.

Shammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #42
DarthChen731

Silver Belt

vCash: 50
Pretty good hands with good knockout power, some of the best wrestling you'll find in the sport today, and strength.

Should the two fight I'll expect Jones to keep Cormier at a distance for most of the fight and wear him out, similar to Glover, except Cormier is probably quicker and can threaten more in the clinch and with TD attempts.

Cormier is probably the best bet to beat Jones (sorry Gus), but I still think Jones would take it.

I will marry Gina

FatneckMusic.bandcamp.com
DarthChen731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #43
Szwok

Purple Belt

vCash: 1282
people are forgetting the main factor that will win JBJ this fight!

SPEED!

DC will have a definitive speed disadvantage that will cost him the fight!!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #44
Shonuff1980**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgrappler View Post
His wrestling is considerably better than Jones, he has knockout power.
I agree his accolades outside of MMA are far better htan Jon's, but other than Barnett, who has good catch wrestling, how many high level wrestlers has DC faced? Jon's faced quite a few high level wrestlers and embarrassed them. I'm not saying DC couldn't out-wrestle nearly anyone, but he has yet to face a high level fighter with high level MMA wrestling. I'd rather see him face Rashad (injured I know) than Hendo.

If /When Jon DC fight, I think their wrestling will negate one another and the fight will look similar to what we just saw from Jon.....he'll pick DC apart from range for a few rounds, then close distance and outstrike DC in the clinch when he's beaten and tired.

Shonuff1980** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #45
Author

Purple Belt

Black Fedor will prevail the same way he decimated Bigfoot and ragdolled Barnett.

He shits on guys bigger than him, I don't see Jones stopping him. I'd rather watch Cormier vs. Rumble.

Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #46
Shonuff1980**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammon View Post
Cormier has better wrestling and is stronger in the clinch and stronger in general.

If DC employs wall and maul like how Cain does, then he can win. It must be such a luxury to be a light heavyweight and be able to train with the heavyweight champion. So far Cormier has dominated everyone and has hardly gotten a scratch, aside from a fist to the eye from Barnett lol.
That's speculation, you/we have no clue who's stronger in that regard. I don't see any way that DC could hold Jon against the wall like that. Cain doing it to JDS or others whose wrestling is average or worse is one thing. You're talking two of the highest level greco fighters in the UFC with Jon and DC. Neither is holding the other to the cage like that. But yeah, training with Cain is awesome for him.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #47
Sharknado

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock_Choke View Post
Unlike a good number of Jones's opponents, DC will probably be able to hold his own or more in the clinch. Additionally, he arguably has the quickness to get inside Jones's reach and strike.

I don't think DC is taking Jones down in any serious way, but I think he could grind him up against the cage, win some striking exchanges on the inside, and muddy the game up enough to win.

In any event, he brings some unique challenges, so I will look forward to the fight.

For the record, I would still pick Jones to win. By UD.
I second this. Excellent post sir.

Official driver of the Yusuke Urameshi hype train!

"I want you to punch a hole through his fuckin chest!!" - Ray Longo
Sharknado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #48
Shonuff1980**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author View Post
Black Fedor will prevail the same way he decimated Bigfoot and ragdolled Barnett.

He shits on guys bigger than him, I don't see Jones stopping him. I'd rather watch Cormier vs. Rumble.
Are you trying to compare Barnett & Bigfoot's TDD to Jon's? They're bigger than Jon, but Jon's wrestling is far better than theirs. You'd rather watch Rumble/DC than DC/Jones? LOL, as if Rumble could do better against DC than Jon?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #49
Gritz

Blue Belt

vCash: 1661

Gritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #50
Fedor24

Blue Belt

I like how you make arguments for Jones, yet put him on the "less than" side of equation.
Awesome!

Askren
Melendez
Poirier
Barao
Dodson

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHG2CqkZW3m5SLf_9mMoyg
Fedor24 is offline   Reply With Quote