Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #231
estranged

White Belt

vCash: 500
Dana White: 'UFC will sign Gina Carano next week'

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cagewr...133647789.html

Former Strikeforce champion Gina Carano hasn't fought in over five years but UFC president Dana White promises that his promotion will sign her to a contract in the coming week. Evidently high off of signing top bantamweight prospect Holly Holm to the UFC this week, White is confident that he will ink the crossover star within days.

"One down, one to go," White recently told ESPN.

"I'm going to meet with Gina next week and get that [expletive] thing done. Next week, man."

The UFC has reportedly negotiated with Carano and her team for months and, according to White, the details and her signing are now simply a formality. "It's just a matter of me and [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta] going to jump on a plane to Los Angeles, get in a room with her and her lawyer and get this thing done."

Carano has not fought since losing via TKO to Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino in August of 2009 and has gone on to a busy film career. "Conviction" also had trouble making 145 and 150 pound weight limits for fights in the past so it is still unclear if she would or could make the UFC bantamweight limit of 135 pounds or if the promotion would allow her to fight at a higher, currently non-existent weight for them.

Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has said in the past that she would make an exception and fight at a higher weight in order to take on Carano. According to White, Carano wants the fight with Rousey badly.

"There is no doubt about it, she wants to fight," he said.

"And she wants to fight Ronda."

estranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #232
flanellograf

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7437 View Post
Gina hasnt fought at 135 either. Im sure Gywenith Paltrow could draw Lesnar numbers, that doesnt mean she should fight Rousey.
Perhaps you didn't notice the part where I implied that Gina isn't a contender either?
And let's not start making silly over-the-top comparisons here. Gina might have not competed in 5 years, but she was undefeated until Cyborg, put wmma on the map, and it's a fight Ronda always wanted.
I'm not saying she should fight Ronda, I'm saying it's not going to do any harm, considering .

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatch
Killashaw
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #233
Batfish
This River Needs Me

vCash: 50
Ronda will rip her arm off in seconds. Gina with years of rust and a lack of ground game is bad news.

AV by EOW
Batfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #234

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanellograf View Post
Perhaps you didn't notice the part where I implied that Gina isn't a contender either?
And let's not start making silly over-the-top comparisons here. Gina might have not competed in 5 years, but she was undefeated until Cyborg, put wmma on the map, and it's a fight Ronda always wanted.
I'm not saying she should fight Ronda, I'm saying it's not going to do any harm, considering .
Fine, its like Royce vs Hughes. An irrelevant one sided beatdown for name value to people who dont know better.

7437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #235
flanellograf

Silver Belt

Quote:
Fine, its like Royce vs Hughes. An irrelevant one sided beatdown for name value to people who dont know better.
Pretty much. With the exception of a lot more mainstream attention, most likely.

MVP
It's Showtime
Hespect Honda Houseys Heputation
Immortal
Thatch
Killashaw
flanellograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #236
riddleofsteel
King of Aquilonia

Location: Locked in the dark pantry of a group of cannibals.. THANKS DAD!!!
vCash: 190
Carano did fight at 135lbs...once back in 2006...then next fight had to be at the catch weight of 138lbs.
135lbs was 8 years ago.

riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #237
MaveDeltzer

Purple Belt

Quote:
Not irrelevant since it was the biggest PPV Hughes headlined as Champion (even if it was a non-title bout). Clearly it was something people wanted to see.

MaveDeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #238
SamboPunch

Silver Belt

vCash: 50
Does anyone think she has a chance to be really good? She's been out for so long. I don't even get this signing other than she's fucking hot and has fighting skills.

SamboPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #239
battery
believe in the power of one belt

gina's weigh-ins results for each of her pro mma fights:

1st mma fight (the first sanctioned women's mma fight in nevada, by the way ) - weighed-in and fought at 135 vs. leiticia pestova.

2nd fight - she was 139 for a 135 fight vs. rosi sexton.

3rd fight - made weight at 150 for 150 fight vs. elaina maxwell.

4th fight - 140 fight vs. julie kedzie. gina weighed in at 141.5 or 142 with jean skirt and top on. kedzie said no worries, that gina didn't have to strip. she would have easily made the 141 without the skirt and top.

5th fight - weighed in at 141 vs. tonya evinger for a 140 fight. (looked the worst she has ever looked at a weigh-in)

6th fight - missed weight by three pounds and one half pounds, weighing in at 144.5 for a 140 fight vs. kaitlin young.

7th fight - weighed in at 141, making weight for the 140 fight vs. kelly kobold.

8th fight - weighed in at 143 for 145 fight vs. cristiane santos (now justino)

battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #240

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaveDeltzer View Post
Not irrelevant since it was the biggest PPV Hughes headlined as Champion (even if it was a non-title bout). Clearly it was something people wanted to see.
Do you know what the most watched event ever for MMA was? This trash. Being watched does not make it relevant.

7437 is offline   Reply With Quote