Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #51
UL

vCash: 50
It's a joke and should be removed

UL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #52
The_Renaissance

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McPherson View Post
This post nails it.

My feelings too.
Amateur MMA can be exciting, but this supposed to be the top league. WMMA is 2-3yrs away from being ready.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #53
Daniel4802

Orange Belt

It's funny. After most all-male cards, people log in here to complain about awful and lackluster most of the fights have been lately. And let's not even talk about all the one-dimensional lay-n-pray wrestlers out there who people bitch about.

Daniel4802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #54
m52nickerson

Purple Belt

The women are here to stay. Dana brought up that fact that the women's fights on TUF have had higher ratings than the men's.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #55
EliteLurker

Black Belt

Lots of lairs in this thread. Women's fights look a lot like HW fights. They are sloppy and action packed.

Suddenly in regards to women everyone wants high skilled fights. But yall go bonkers over a HW brawl and cry fowl every time there's an Edgar fight.

EliteLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #56
JaPo

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McPherson View Post
This post nails it.
Convenient for you I'm sure since you wouldn't be able to explain your position if you tried. People really show their biases and personal agendas when they spout shit like "UFC shoving WMMA down our throats", "men built MMA into what it is today, why should women ride on 'our' coattails?". I can almost guarantee this narrow-mindedness extends to other areas of these posters' lives.

The UFC has so far held very few WMMA fights. At the very most there is 2 a card. If you'd care to actually watch these fights and suspend your bigotry for just 15 minutes (or, often, less!) you'd find it tough to argue each and every other mens fight on the card 'deserves' a spot more than the womens one. The fights are entertaining, and the women (while not generally as skilled/explosive as the men) do have skill. Even the most recent WMMA fight on TUF no less was a barnstormer. Roquelle, the eventual victor, showed punch power and explosiveness that truly impressed me. Nearly all the women this year have been game as fuck too.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #57
Ashenthorn

Brown Belt

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPo View Post
The UFC has so far held very few WMMA fights. At the very most there is 2 a card. If you'd care to actually watch these fights and suspend your bigotry for just 15 minutes (or, often, less!) you'd find it tough to argue each and every other mens fight on the card 'deserves' a spot more than the womens one. The fights are entertaining, and the women (while not generally as skilled/explosive as the men) do have skill.
Perhaps where they're going with this is to try to eventually make it something like women's tennis. I'm sure there are a few tennis watchers out there who will watch exclusively the men's game or exclusively the women's game - but not many. The average mainstream tennis fan watches, enjoys and appreciates both.

Jessica Penne (World #1 p4p legs) is your next UFC Champion.
Ashenthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #58
DhakaMMA

Purple Belt

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayweary View Post
The UFC is not a league in that way; it's a promotion. You aren't making sense.
A promotion is the organizer (read "promoter") of any event, it can be a sports event, fight, concert, dance, opera, whatever. A league is specifically a type of promotion, a long-running series of events, one where multiple entities compete for a given prize, in this case that would be Championships in a given weight-class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sololist View Post
You don't have to swallow it

Anyway, if you don't like WMMA in UFC don't watch the fight or don't buy the PPV. You are not at gunpoint to buy any of the PPV with WMMA.
Maybe we are doing exactly that. So enough of the condescension. We vote with our dollars, and we vote with our feedback. That's how the freemarket works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwhiskey119
If you enjoy fighting then you enjoy WMMA.

If you are some fair weather nerd following whatever is popular then you don't like it.

I say if you don't like it then move on to the next fad and leave fighting to the ones that appreciate it.
This is a silly analogy. That's like saying, "If you like religion, then you should follow ALL religions". Or if you like fighting you should follow all fighting: midget wrestling, bum-fights, kimbo slice, oil-wrestling..... Some are fans of the latter, but that doesn't mean we all are. Its not a take-all-or-none deal. That's exactly why you need separate promotions/leagues for these, so that people don't feel like they're watching a circus.

"The Ben Swann Radio Show": http://tinyurl.com/kfcuze5

"Peace Gold Love": http://www.DailyPaul.com
DhakaMMA is offline   Reply With Quote