Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
SavageAngel

Purple Belt

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conduit View Post
GSP is the GOAT. He is easily a more complete well rounded MMArtist than Anderson and is clearly the better/more skilled athlete than Fedor, and he also fought tougher competition than both of them.

I honestly don't understand why he is not considered the GOAT by most people.
It`s only because of his lack of finishes. Even though he almost always completely dominates his opponents, he doesn`t have the finishes that makes a fighter a fighter.

But even considering his lack of finishes, he is still among the greatest ever like Fedor and Andy. And he definitily surpassed condecorated finishers and long time champions like Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Minotauro and Gomi.

If GSP Finished his opponents during his reign, he would be without a doubt the GOAT in most peoples eyes.

SavageAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
blewgums

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
GSP fought better fighters than Fedor. Fact. GSP fought a murderers row of the best fighters in the sport. And he beat them. Fedor is my favorite fighter. But Fedor fought lesser opponents than GSP. Think how many of GSPs opponents are recognized even by casual fans.

blewgums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Draama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekmurat View Post
he is weak like all of us
I am not weak

Draama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
MrTastyPants**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreCan View Post
Look at GOATS in other sports. They don't just win, they go beyond that.

The GOAT is a one of a kind fighter, and just winning doesn't make you a one of a kind fighter.
Exactly, that's why the goat is none other than Jon GOAT Jones.

MrTastyPants** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
yekmurat

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewgums View Post
GSP fought better fighters than Fedor. Fact. GSP fought a murderers row of the best fighters in the sport. And he beat them. Fedor is my favorite fighter. But Fedor fought lesser opponents than GSP. Think how many of GSPs opponents are recognized even by casual fans.
No doubt...I am a fedor fan too but he fought too many unranked guys in his career

yekmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
nintey

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekmurat View Post
1-He is a human I mean he is weak like all of us
2-GSP showed the world what does a decorated MMA fighter means
3-GSP is tired for being champ mentally and phsycally
4-GSP is getting old
5-GSP has a lot of money please dont forget people get punched in the face for money not for having fun
6-GSP nearly had every success in the MMA game
7-GSP is only fighting against the best of the best for many years and this is hell of a thing no doubt

I am so happy for him
I truely respect him so much for the years and those are my two cents about him
Great Champion
Great Person
Great Warrior

GSP is one of a kind and I wish him the best
Agreed, not to mention he did tear his acl, you're never the same after that. He came back motivated for the Condit fight but you could see his heart wasn't 100% in it vs Diaz and Hendricks. No reason for him to keep fighting if he doesn't want to. I'm happy he did what he wanted and stood by it.

nintey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
yekmurat

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintey View Post
Agreed, not to mention he did tear his acl, you're never the same after that. He came back motivated for the Condit fight but you could see his heart wasn't 100% in it vs Diaz and Hendricks. No reason for him to keep fighting if he doesn't want to. I'm happy he did what he wanted and stood by it.
Yeah I completely forgot about that

yekmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Clock_Choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusterX View Post
I encounter this problem all the time on Sherdog. MMA is a young sport and there are still alot of MMA fans that can't quite comprehend that in sports the only thing that matters is W's and Championships. Doesn't matter if your team wins 51-0 or 51-49, a win is a win is a win and it is the only thing that matters in sports W's and L's.
It certainly matters when you are trying to make distinctions amongst fighters who have similar records, number of titles, etc...

I say this as an admirer of GSP. But if he had the same record, titles, but with a number of finishes sprinkled into his last series of title defenses, you would think of him a little bit more highly than you do now, no?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #29
MusterX

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conduit View Post
GSP didn't "just win", he dominated like no other, Anderson lost rounds quite often in his run, GSP barely lost a single round (apart from the Hendricks fight).
Yea he did, dominant as fuck. His record for winning 33 consecutive rounds is something people try to shit on but it is a record that will be incredibly difficult for anyone to beat.

Most wins in UFC history, an ambassador of the sport, highest PPV rates, greatest Welter of all time but holy shit people love to shit all over him.