Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #21
Count Zero

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Both

It's no secret I think Jon fights dirty (using the threat of eyepokes to keep his opponents at bay), but even beyond that he's just a damn good fighter.

That's probably what bothers me the most about the fingers in the face thing ... he doesn't need to do that. He could do the same thing with jabs. It betrays a lack of confidence. I mean, that thing Greg said between rounds, what was it ... something about Jon fighting artistically and it being a thing of beauty to behold. Greg knows Jon needs that ego stroking.

http://www.twitch.tv/geistzeit
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Alexandergreat3

vCash: 50
He's both.

As others have mentioned, he adapted in his fight vs. Teixeira when he switched from fighting at range to fighting in the clinch.

The guy is a very intelligent MMArtist. According to Rashad, Jones has a book of moves that he studies. He's like an MMA Mozart.

"What you talking about? Jesus took a beating before reaching God status"
- Vale_Tudo
Alexandergreat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #23
Alexandergreat3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
Both

It's no secret I think Jon fights dirty (using the threat of eyepokes to keep his opponents at bay), but even beyond that he's just a damn good fighter.

That's probably what bothers me the most about the fingers in the face thing ... he doesn't need to do that. He could do the same thing with jabs. It betrays a lack of confidence. I mean, that thing Greg said between rounds, what was it ... something about Jon fighting artistically and it being a thing of beauty to behold. Greg knows Jon needs that ego stroking.
Ego stroking maybe so, but I think it has more to do with Jackson wanting Jones to have fun and relax, as he said so many times ("focus on that waterfall"). This is most likely because Jones performs better when he's super relaxed.

"What you talking about? Jesus took a beating before reaching God status"
- Vale_Tudo
Alexandergreat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #24
popwarnermma

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingief View Post
I give no credit to Jackson-wink.
Yes, they are responsible for everything JJ knows, but inside the octagon, it is up to JJ to decide what to do/how to react in every split second of the fight.

I feel Jones is a great game planner, more than he is a great fighter. During his early days, he studied his opponents almost to the point of being a stalker which was how the whole spygate thing started. He was also often seen talking about what he thinks about his opponent's current mental state and how he would manipulate them in a game of mental warefare. I feel that he does his homework and he sticks to his gameplan better than anyone else.

And the fact that he turned down an untrained Shale on short notice when he himself had gone through a full training came only further proves my point. He didn't have any problems fighting Shale when given enough time to come up with a solid gameplan.

That being said, i think he will beat Gus in their rematch eventhough i thought Gus won the first fight.
No credit to his coaches? Just think of all the money Jones could have saved by training himself in his own basement.

I'll tell you right now that's THEIR game plan for Jones. He followed it, yes, but a ton of credit goes to his coaches.

Jones can't even come up with a good first lie for anti-gay social media posts let alone craft a game plan.

popwarnermma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #25
Iplaytolose

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwarnermma View Post
No credit to his coaches? Just think of all the money Jones could have saved by training himself in his own basement.

I'll tell you right now that's THEIR game plan for Jones. He followed it, yes, but a ton of credit goes to his coaches.

Jones can't even come up with a good first lie for anti-gay social media posts let alone craft a game plan.
I wouldn't go as far as saying he can't craft his own gameplan. That's seriously undermining his instincts as a fighter, and not too fighters, if any, has better instincts than him. He makes better in-round adjustments better than anyone. That in itself shows he has a mind for fighting.

Iplaytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #26
MuayThaiRulz

Yellow Belt

both

MuayThaiRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
skylolow

Red Belt

You gotta have both to be one of the best.

You can have all the talent in the world and shit game plan/people around you will cost you. Ask Fedor about that. You can also ask BJ.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
neomage2021

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingief View Post
vs Striker, take him down.
vs Grappler, sprawl and brawl.
vs semi striker semi grappler, clinch , push him against the fence tie him up and dirty box.

Am i a great strategist? 'cos that's basically what Jackson always do.
no you are just a dumb ass

neomage2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
5H3RD0G

Red Belt

You have to be both in order to keep the strap for a long time.