Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
MolesyMMA

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Two of my favourite passes

Rick Glenn HL - youtu.be/x0HjdQLklAQ
MolesyMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #32
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
Ask yourself this, if this was some mediocre fighter on a UFC prelim, would anyone give a shit about this submission?
Regular fans? Probably not, but I would still include it in a thread like this. It's only overrated in the sense that people get caught up in how effortlessly Maia dismissed a Chael who had had awful triangle defense for years...

You have to bear in mind the whole sequence it took place in also; the submission itself isn't the flashiest, but it's the combination of the trip, the submission and the status (perceived or otherwise) of the opponent that makes it "not your every day UFC triangle".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme
Yes, it's a clean submission on a top guy. But is it something special? Not in my eyes. People act like this is the greatest submission ever, but it's just a basic mounted triangle. No adjustments, no improvisation, no unorthodox entry, nothing. Lots of guys hit armbars, guillotines and rear naked chokes cleanly and easily. Are they worth mentioning as one of the greatest technical submissions ever? The answer is no.
Then why bother posting a .gif of Palhares "just" hitting a picture-perfect armbar from back mount?

For another thing, you can't say he made "no adjustments" because he was about to flip Chael over before he tapped...

Nobody ever even made the implication that it was one of the greatest submissions ever, either. You just seem to be content in shitting all over it solely because you personally don't find it impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme
Also I realize that you're from Boston but if you're trying to make a point to someone, don't insult them like a child.
talking about Maia as if he is some white belt isn't exactly a great way to incite a civil response... just saying.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #33
Ridian

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Don't argue lol, just post pics, GIFS and enjoy…wait I forgot, this is Sherdog lol, argue away.

Tyron Woodley
Chris Weidman
Rumble
Cain Velasquez

Kickboxing/MT
Joe Schilling
Nieky Holzken
John Wayne Parr
Yodsaenklai Fairtex
Tyrone Spong
Ridian is offline   Reply With Quote