Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Captain_Dammitt

Green Belt

vCash: 500
The quality of UFC events has gone up since then no doubt, not that it was bad back in the day by any means but their talent pool is much larger and despite the opinion of this forum, Dana White knows what he is doing. The fact that you can pretty much watch the UFC every weekend compared to once a month (once every few months when I started watching) is awesome speaking as an mma fan.

Captain_Dammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
welcometohavoc
Banned

I honestly don't care about the number of cards. Alot of these "watered down" cards end up having great fights on them, introducing tomorrow's stars.

welcometohavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #33
Danespina

Purple Belt

The UFC now has a feather, bantam, fly, and women's bantamweight division that required at least a 30% increase of events in order to support them. The UFC going global makes up the rest of the increase, that includes expanding its presence in Brazil.

Danespina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
benjaminbuttons

Red Belt

lol i remember some guy on here trying to tell me FN events were more stacked back in the day, his example was the under card of Florian/Thomas that had guys like Alves, Maynard, Leonard and Cole Miller.

Like most of those guys wouldnt have been headlining cards back then if they were as popular/successful as they are today.

benjaminbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #35
Danespina

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminbuttons View Post
lol i remember some guy on here trying to tell me FN events were more stacked back in the day, his example was the under card of Florian/Thomas that had guys like Alves, Maynard, Leonard and Cole Miller.

Like most of those guys wouldnt have been headlining cards back then if they were as popular/successful as they are today.
A lot of people do that. It's like come on, @ 126 Anderson Silva and Jon Jones fought on the same card, plus you had Demetrious Johnson in the prelims! Now DJ is main eventing!

Danespina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #36
IngaVovchanchyn

Brown Belt

vCash: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
The problem with that line of thinking is it becomes a slippery slope...

You stop watching half the cards the cards then the contenders on the few you do watch become less recognizable. Then you question the worth of even watching the few you are watching. Then you just stop watching altogether.
This would be true if a person had lost interest in MMA and was only watching the events based on momentum. But there is nothing about tailoring your viewing schedule to your actual interest level that makes it inevitable that fans will lose interest.

In seasons where I watch six NFL games each week, I know most of the players on most of the teams. Last season I was only able to watch two games a week and I knew some of the player son some of the teams. I still really enjoy pro football.

Nothing in this world eases a man's conscience like doing the right thing with other peoples' money.
IngaVovchanchyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #37
ShagginTurtles

Brown Belt

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
The problem with that line of thinking is it becomes a slippery slope...

You stop watching half the cards the cards then the contenders on the few you do watch become less recognizable. Then you question the worth of even watching the few you are watching. Then you just stop watching altogether.
Ya Luke Thomas tweeted out that he doesn't like so many cards and Dana got at it with him on twitter, some guy said he doesn't like that there's 53 watered cards and there should only be 12 or so a year, so Dana said for him to "not watch 41 then stupid"

ShagginTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #38
Megatronlee

Purple Belt

Them boys got the count vs arlovski

Megatronlee is offline   Reply With Quote