Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #51
zerofux

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElectra View Post
This is a bit of an aside, but Foreman never really ever "covered up". During his first career, he tended to stalk opponents with his hands out looking to pick off and parry shots coming from his opponents. His head movement wasn't actually terrible at any point in his career, and I'd say his footwork was genuinely good. Very rarely did you ever see him employ a high guard and cover up. He got that style from the Saddlers (it's relatively similar to the style Sandy Saddler, the great FW, employed during his career). In his later career, he was heavily influenced by the style of Archie Moore (cross arm guard), and that relies on a whole system (and wouldn't do anyone much good unless they know how to do several other things).
Yeah, I was referencing that Archie Moore era you're talking about. I'm not as knowledgable about it. I don't think she could employ that style for a whole fight, just the split second it takes her to charge.

zerofux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #52
Jibsta69

Blue Belt

Would the Williams sister beating Lebron James in a tennis match shock anyone? Really this whole Ronda vs Floyd is just the UFC pathic attempt to get her name out there.I'm glad Floyd commented about this ridiculous argument the way he did.

Jibsta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #53
Navinabob

Orange Belt

Vic Darchinyan has talked about his sparring with Rhonda. And he's a legit boxer with wrestling credentials.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #54
Jukai

Silver Belt

Ronda knocks Floyd the fuck out

Jukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #55
JayElectra
Paper Belt

vCash: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofux View Post
Yeah, I was referencing that Archie Moore era you're talking about. I'm not as knowledgable about it. I don't think she could employ that style for a whole fight, just the split second it takes her to charge.
The Archie Moore cross arm crab style (which, interestingly enough, Josh Barnett has actually has tinkered with a bit over the last 5 years) wouldn't do Ronda much good because it's not going to stop much of anything unless Ronda has the proper stance, the proper balance, the proper footwork and the proper head movement to go with it. When someone like Archie Moore used it, the arm position wasn't really the heart of the defense (well, the high right hand was pretty important, but not for blocking). The head movement and trained countering options that was part of the whole style (one could even call it a system) is what makes the defense. The arm position could be useful for making an opponent pay for going to the body by making them hit your elbows and potentially breaking their hand, but, again, that's not going to do Ronda much good.

In all honesty, there isn't much Ronda could do to prevent getting hit short of not being on the feet in the general vicinity of a striker of Mayweather's calibre (and that's as much as I'm saying directly about this farcical topic).

-Diogenes
JayElectra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #56
TheShadow

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
You musta missed the first few decades of MMA where Gracies were choking out guys in the back of gyms and elite punchers pissed their pants when a buck-sixty Royce took two steps towards them.

If you don't think that Rhonda would pull a Couture and just dip for a takedown then choke Floyd as quick as James Toney went to sleep, then you have not paid attention to the sport at all.
Wow Rhonda going for a takedown? I never thought of that. That's a surprising strategy, Floyd would be caught totally unaware and be defenseless.