Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #21
Bazooka1

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechapel View Post
Agree with you on this.

I am reading this thread about this issues. That's why I am discussing here. If there are a bunch of other thread, I don't care only this on is relevant to my conversation.
Exactly.

Some ppl just feel the need to be assholes I guess.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #22
BionicCommando

Red Belt

A lot of you guys seem to think Dunham isn't that good which to me feels a little inaccurate. IMO he beat Assuncao who is a damn good LW and his losses recently have been to solid fighters like TJ Grant, the aforementioned Assuncao and Donald Cerrone. I'm not sure if he'll ever be as good as some people thought but it wouldn't surprise me if he beat Edson Barboza. Barboza has struggled with worse fighters on paper than Dunham, like Ross Pearson.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #23
Bazooka1

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicCommando View Post
A lot of you guys seem to think Dunham isn't that good which to me feels a little inaccurate. IMO he beat Assuncao who is a damn good LW and his losses recently have been to solid fighters like TJ Grant, the aforementioned Assuncao and Donald Cerrone. I'm not sure if he'll ever be as good as some people thought but it wouldn't surprise me if he beat Edson Barboza. Barboza has struggled with worse fighters on paper than Dunham, like Ross Pearson.
True very good point.

Dunham is far from a can this is no gimmie fight for Barboza.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #24
omawho402

Green Belt

I like Dunham and Barboza. If Barboza "fights smart", I don't see any way he loses.

Barboza by decision in what may be a fotn canidate.

omawho402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 AM   #25
Diet Otsuka

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathsoul View Post
You think Varner is that much faster than Dunham? I agree that Barbosa should win though.
I do.
I don't think it's that much faster, but I do think Jamie definitely has the edge in pure hand speed. The thing is Varner's hand speed is greatly amplified by his ability to close distance and spring forward really well. So a smaller advantage becomes a bit bigger in that regard.

Dunham's striking is mostly effective because he throws his punches at weird angles and unorthodox combinations. Kind of old school Rich Franklin-y.

Joanne Calderwood: future WSW champion
Diet Otsuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #26
whitechapel

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Otsuka View Post
I do.
I don't think it's that much faster, but I do think Jamie definitely has the edge in pure hand speed. The thing is Varner's hand speed is greatly amplified by his ability to close distance and spring forward really well. So a smaller advantage becomes a bit bigger in that regard.

Dunham's striking is mostly effective because he throws his punches at weird angles and unorthodox combinations. Kind of old school Rich Franklin-y.
I've trained a bit at AZ Combat Sport and Iron Gloves where Varner did some boxing and its not that he is really fast, its his timing. I never thought of him as having exceptional speed, but he can read guys and time punches well. Sometimes he I think he forgets that a la Abel Trujillo (spelling). Still, Edson utilizes a systematic striking style where if you watch him and train yourself to read his movements you can time counter strikes. This is something I think Varner is good at.

Liddell was excellent at this. He would knock guys out with slow, loopy punches and it was all due to timing.

whitechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #27
JustinvR

Brown Belt

vCash: 2417
His chin isn't Iron but you have to look at the fighters who rocked him.
Varner hits hard and Barboza got hit with some serious bombs. Castillo hit him with bombs and he decapitated Brenneman in his next fight. And Cerrone dropped with a perfectly timed, sneaky jab. Barboza isn't the first fighter who was dropped with that punch either, Donald has a very good jab even though his boxing isn't that great.
He also took shots from Pearson and Njokuani and his chin held up fine.

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis 1 Highlight vid (150k views): /watch?v=MhTD2NhrdYY
Simon Marcus vs Joe Schilling III (Glory LMS) Highlight vid: /watch?v=5nAEJKikYzc
JustinvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #28
JustinvR

Brown Belt

vCash: 2417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicCommando View Post
Ross Pearson is the better pure striker though, he really is one of the better boxers in the UFC.

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis 1 Highlight vid (150k views): /watch?v=MhTD2NhrdYY
Simon Marcus vs Joe Schilling III (Glory LMS) Highlight vid: /watch?v=5nAEJKikYzc
JustinvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #29
Dontevenguess93

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinvR View Post
His chin isn't Iron but you have to look at the fighters who rocked him.
Varner hits hard and Barboza got hit with some serious bombs. Castillo hit him with bombs and he decapitated Brenneman in his next fight. And Cerrone dropped with a perfectly timed, sneaky jab. Barboza isn't the first fighter who was dropped with that punch either, Donald has a very good jab even though his boxing isn't that great.
He also took shots from Pearson and Njokuani and his chin held up fine.
This. Getting rocked in the UFC is highly situational. One cannot say "x fighter has a bad chin because he's rocked a lot. Example, Bendo has been rocked by all sorts of guys who are not known for power (Edgar, Miller, Guida). But that doesn't mean he has a bad chin.

Look at how easily Pearson rocked Diego, but never rocked Barboza who he hit a lot and very hard. These things are not always black and white.

Bottom line, he has one career (T)KO loss in his career and he has doesn't get knocked out cold or anything.

Dontevenguess93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #30
Bazooka1

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontevenguess93 View Post
This. Getting rocked in the UFC is highly situational. One cannot say "x fighter has a bad chin because he's rocked a lot. Example, Bendo has been rocked by all sorts of guys who are not known for power (Edgar, Miller, Guida). But that doesn't mean he has a bad chin.

Look at how easily Pearson rocked Diego, but never rocked Barboza who he hit a lot and very hard. These things are not always black and white.

Bottom line, he has one career (T)KO loss in his career and he has doesn't get knocked out cold or anything.
I hear ya.

Well we will see this Wednesday either way he better tighten up on his D and head movement.