Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #71
roman510

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
He proved that elbows from upside down shouldn't be legal in this sport. He did it twice

roman510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #72
chukutee

Green Belt

DId he poke Barnetts eye at 4:13 or just give him a really good crack in the eye socket? Josh immediately started holding his left hand up there, it was the end of his fight at that moment.

chukutee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #73
Bones245n4847

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManGrip View Post
did you play sports? Ever seen the star basketball player attempt football and fail or vice versa. Not all games take the same type of athletic ability. One may be great at shooting a basketball but have a horrible passing or rushing game.
Yes I played both BB and FB, FB due to being able to go to college for free and basketball just due to size, Im going to admit Football was more my sport but that didn't stop me from doing OK in basketball. Not saying I was Bron or anything but I started and could barely handle 25-28 min a game, I couldn't Imagine what guys like Lebron go through for 40+ minutes.

Bones245n4847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #74
Bigj383

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Grover View Post
They pick up Olympians after their Olympic career are over. No one is giving up a shot at the Olympics (or even a scholarship) for an MMA career. Which is my point. The bulk of the best athletes, regardless of weight, are doing other things. They only really come to MMA once their primary career choice is over. Even someone like Aldo only came to MMA after he realized he wasnt going to be a soccer player IIRC.

As a fan I wish it wasnt that way, but it is.
For a MMA career no, for a UFC career yes. There is no guarantee of success for an olympian in Judo, wrestling, etc will lead success in MMA. There is money at the top of MMA guys like Jones, Silva, and GSP making 8 figures a year will drive athletes to the sport.

I've seen welterweight MMA fighters school 250 lb football players. Being athletic in soccer or football ot anywhere else doesn't mean you can do MMA. It is a different athletisism and a different set of skills.