Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #51
Jesse James
Chastity Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamuz View Post
I don't blame UFC for aggressively promoting their fighters; I blame the sheep.
I agree.....young, immature, basement dwellers believe everything they hear....rediculous!

Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #52
hadji

Green Belt

vCash: 150
It's not a myth

Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #53
dbsh510

Green Belt

vCash: 7370
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Pedro View Post
It's part of a much larger psychological phenomenon in which people like to think those who disagree with them have been duped.

You can't really think policy X is a good idea. You've been listening to too much Rush Limbaugh. Or conversely, you've been watching too much MSNBC.

You can't really have thought fighter X was good merely because he had a couple of highlight reel finishes. You must have been duped by the UFC.

You can't really think fighter Y won that very close fight, you've been schnookered by Rogan.

I think it's a result of being so unable to see another side of an issue that you start looking at ulterior motives or native stupidity as the explanation for people seeing it another way. With few exceptions, when anyone calls those who disagree "zombies" or "sheep" it's a good indicator of the rigidity of that person's mind.
This is a really smart take. It's the same kind of thinking, and the people who use it apply it to sports, politics, movies, etc. Some people feel better believing that they're enlightened whereas others are in the dark and being manipulated by elite agendas. DFW probably is an illuminati though.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
Blah4

Purple Belt

vCash: 2482
Well its not a conspiracy, they just wanna sell tickets and sometimes they end up hyping up a guy who isnt that great. I wouldnt say the UFC Hype machine is just a silly idea in our minds though, not long ago it happened again with Uriah Hall.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
Cake4Breakfast

Black Belt

The UFC can give a guy a tough or easy road, can put him on tv or keep him buried on the undercard, etc., of course the UFC has influence, and it is the rare fighter that can beat everyone to earn a shot and succeed despite all of the obstacles put in front of him.

Nietzsche
Cake4Breakfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #56
Cake4Breakfast

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Pedro View Post
It's part of a much larger psychological phenomenon in which people like to think those who disagree with them have been duped.

You can't really think policy X is a good idea. You've been listening to too much Rush Limbaugh. Or conversely, you've been watching too much MSNBC.

You can't really have thought fighter X was good merely because he had a couple of highlight reel finishes. You must have been duped by the UFC.

You can't really think fighter Y won that very close fight, you've been schnookered by Rogan.

I think it's a result of being so unable to see another side of an issue that you start looking at ulterior motives or native stupidity as the explanation for people seeing it another way. With few exceptions, when anyone calls those who disagree "zombies" or "sheep" it's a good indicator of the rigidity of that person's mind.
To some extent, but there is a large psychological literature of how to influence people, and I think there are a lot of Brittany Spears type of lazy/trusting people who let the "experts" tell them what to think. People hear a confident and successful expert say something, and they believe it, and Dana and Rogan are successful and confident. What is funny is that even intelligent people will follow a confident person (just raises his/her hand to answer a question) over a smarter person (answers more questions correctly); that explains a lot about leadership.

Nietzsche
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #57
SnowBlynd
can bench 275

There's anti hype when according to Dana guys like frank shamrock and fedor never existed.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #58
Cake4Breakfast

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsh510 View Post
This is a really smart take. It's the same kind of thinking, and the people who use it apply it to sports, politics, movies, etc. Some people feel better believing that they're enlightened whereas others are in the dark and being manipulated by elite agendas. DFW probably is an illuminati though.
Not elite agendas, but by people who want your money, votes, compliance, etc.

There have been a couple of good Frontline PBS programs about this issue, "The Persuaders" and "The Merchants of cool."

Nietzsche