Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #221
ackileez

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnbay View Post
Yea I agree with TS its not like Hughes was a redneck asshole....

This post a ridiculous thinly veiled GSP hate thread, GSP was the epitome of humble and classy fighter and was much better than hughes as a fighter and as a person
Ts is mad the Gsp glass jaw myth was debunked when he was banking on hendricks putting him to sleep.

Ts u really honestly respect Hughes more?? I doubt that.

ackileez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #222
ShagginTurtles
Remember The Iceman

vCash: 953
That's an awful way of looking at his career. He made the decision to retire before the fight

ShagginTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #223
wandshocop

Green Belt

vCash: 5483
i would watch a matt hughes fight over a gsp fight any day of the week, but gsp has done the most with his career and went out on top you cant beat that.

Wand/Shogun/Cro Cop/Big Nog/Fedor/Gomi/JDS/Hunto/Condit/Aldo/Lyoto/Reem/Anderson/KZ/Siver
wandshocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #224
MCS
observer

vCash: 72177
Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse View Post
Haha, doctor took it away from him? I suppose you would have let that go on? Surely no one reasonable would call that fight stoppage controversial. His face was mangled, thanks to Lewis. Why is there this obsession (also prevalent in MMA) as to who was winning before it was stopped? It doesn't mean anything. He was, what, one round ahead? Two? Yet this sort of revisionism suggest Vitali was handling him. For what it's worth, he was also due to fight Johnson next, not Tyson.

He'd fought for 15 years, was undisputed heavyweight champ, was 38 and had beaten everyone out there, including Vitali. Seems fair enough to retire.

People will always say there's another contender, it's how the world works. If Anderson knocks Weidman out, then calls it a career, how much bitching and moaning would there be?

Bottom line, there was nothing controversial about that victory and whilst some were disappointed about when he retired, he had more than earned that right and had nothing left to prove to anyone.
You're misquoted me a couple of times here. He was ahead, so losing via cut while being ahead, which is rare in a title fight itself, made the result indecisive. Lennox was asked for years if he would rematch him, and he gave vague answers (plus belittling answers towards Wladimir). You're right, he was supposed to fight Johnson, not Tyson, and Vitali took the fight on 2-weeks notice.

All these reasons combined made that fight controversial, since it didn't show who was better, it was on short notice and there was no rematch. This doesn't mean Lennox didn't have the perfect right to hang 'em up, but that doesn't erase the questionmarks around that fight.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #225
ocfightfan

Red Belt

vCash: 470
If you have more respect for Hughes then thats your opinion. I disagree, but you feel how you feel.

In my view GSP is the greatest WW in history, and in the running for P4P ever. He legitimately beat a murderers row of top fighters. You can mess your diapers about not finishing, but all these guys were top guys, and it was up to them to beat him too.

He was always a professional and a good guy, and one of the greatest athletes MMA has seen. I honestly think most of the hate comes from the fact that he was a good guy who was so successful. That really pisses off the cynics among us.

However I think this idea that the title has been tarnished is nonsense. You have gone from expressing your opinion to projecting your feelings on to reality. The title isn't damaged because GSP knows it's time for him to walk away. The title is still prestigious because it's the crown for a shark tank of a division.

You say he doesn't owe anything, but your argument is based on the idea that he does. He has damaged the belt because he decided to walk away rather than compete when he isn't able to focus and prepare to the best of his ability.

GSP didn't ruin MMA or WW or throw the belt in a trash can. He realized he wasn't at his best, and it wasn't fair to anyone for him to continue. He shouldn't need to be forced out by having his brain beaten to jelly just to satisfy his critics.

Just because you see the lions teeth, it doesn't mean he's smiling.
ocfightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #226
ArlovskiFang
The Retirer

Lol @ respecting Hughes more.

Hughes is a worse fighter than GSP and a FAR WORSE person.

GSP is probably the greatest thing to ever happen to MMA. A consummate professional that
cares about his fellow man.

ArlovskiFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #227
tritestill

Brown Belt

TS is a fucking idiot, period. I have no idea why people are even engaging in serious conversation and entertaining this ridiculous idea. This whole, you have to stick around until you lose your belt is so fucking stupid.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #228
OnePunchWhiskey

White Belt

Pretty stupid to bash GSP but it doesn't surprise me.

OnePunchWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #229
finesse

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
You're misquoted me a couple of times here. He was ahead, so losing via cut while being ahead, which is rare in a title fight itself, made the result indecisive. Lennox was asked for years if he would rematch him, and he gave vague answers (plus belittling answers towards Wladimir). You're right, he was supposed to fight Johnson, not Tyson, and Vitali took the fight on 2-weeks notice.

All these reasons combined made that fight controversial, since it didn't show who was better, it was on short notice and there was no rematch. This doesn't mean Lennox didn't have the perfect right to hang 'em up, but that doesn't erase the questionmarks around that fight.
Lewis retired within a year of that fight. Whatever goes on after that is incidental.

You do also realise that Lewis only had two weeks to prepare for Vitali as well, right? I highly doubt he knew much about him or watched much film. It's not as if one man was fully prepared and the other wasn't. Lewis still came in (at his heaviest weight) and finished him in 6 rounds.

I'm sorry, but the result was very decisive. It wasn't a cut caused by a head-butt or an injury that stopped the fight, it was Lewis that cut him and his continued punches made his face a mess. His actions caused him to stop his opponent. Is that not showing he's the better man?

There was no real controversy. The story sold itself "young pretender, tests old champion", so those clamouring for a rematch were doing so for obvious reasons, plus there was no one else for Lewis to fight. It would have been interesting to see them go at it again, but Lennox retired having beaten him, with nothing left to prove.

Where did I misquote you, by the way?

finesse is offline   Reply With Quote