Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #41
Cherpp

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
It might be just me but I think immediate rematches are bad for the guys who lost their belt. Fighting is all about getting your mind right and having confidence. Esp if a champ gets starched he should be given the opportunity to gain some confidence with a win before the rematch. Noone should fight for a title coming off a loss, I feel like its a disservice to them. Plus, If they lose they now have 2 losses to the new champ and getting another title shot will be really tough to do. Selling a third fight when a guy is 0-2 against someone is a tough thing to do. (See Benson/Silva)

Cherpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #42
DLX

Brown Belt

I never wasn't sick of instant rematches.

Decision Diego vs Ben "Split-Decision" Henderson
Winner = Rickson by Armber

I'd take an army of Ronda's over ANY military. Sorry North Korea
DLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #43
Gustavo MS

Yellow Belt

Actually , I am getting sick of threads about immediate rematches (:

Gustavo MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #44
Aniketos
Boston Strong

it's the reason i stopped paying for the UFC events. i'll get my UFC other ways, but i'm not giving Dana anymore of my money

I beg to differ in the outcome
There's nowhere to run
It's some kind of joke
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #45
billo2007

Orange Belt

vCash: 648
Long term champs like Barao deserve instant rematches.

Short term failures like Machida and Gus dont.

End of debate for me....

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #46
zephid

Black Belt

I have no problems with instant rematches under the right circumstances.

zephid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
jeff7b9

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
I am not getting sick of immediate title shot rematches.

I was sick of them a long time ago.

Anderson: I am a big Anderson Silva fan and he did not deserve a rematch. He fought like a fucking jackass and got knocked out, that is nobody's fault but his own. (I think he would have lost no matter how he fought and a recognize the "strategy" and still feel he did not deserve a rematch at all regardless of his win streak).

He said himself he didn't want a rematch. He had a wonderful run, it was over, time to move on. This would have been a great time for superfights, 205, Franklinweight, WW, HW, whatever it all would have been better than him breaking his leg and spending a year on the shelf and who knows if we ever see his true brilliance again?

BJ Penn- Again I am a big BJ Penn fan (feel free to check my post history) and BJ lost fair and square. He lost the first fight, lost the 2nd fight (which I don't think should have happened at that time) worse and the third fight was absolutely ridiculous that the UFC even put that fight on. Frankie should be fighting a top 3 fighter like Cub or Mendes or Uriah, not beating the bejesus out of BJ...... AGAIN

Barao.... GOT HIS ASS KICKED. What, he is supposed to get an immediate rematch because the UFC decided that they were going to promote him to #1 pound for pound the week of his fight in a pathetic attempt to get a few more PPV sales? Get the fuck out of here. He was never the best fighter in the world, as it has been stated many many times, most of the guys he beat on his win streak don't even have wiki pages. He had a handful of nice wins in a shallow weight class then faced a surprising challenge in the TJ Dillashaw that showed up with Dominic Cruz footwork and hungry challenger desire.... oh well, that is how it goes. There is no reason in the world to think the rematch will be any different when Barao doesn't have any time to develop new skills. He had nothing for Tj and in a few months he will still have nothing for TJ. (Think JDS vs Cain III. not enough time for the loser to make the necessary changes to flip the script) Want to make money- bet the house on Dillashaw and cross your fingers he doesn't slip on the harley davidson logo and tear his ACL, easy money.

Frankie "Two Times" Edgar- I don't even know where to start. Gray Maynard... so they had a draw, cool. I would have been fine with Frankie moving on to the next, but nope, trilogy, I will acknowledge this as the most warranted shot in this era of immediate shots (along with Shogun vs Mated)

BUT - Frankie lost fair and square in the first fight with Benson "Split Decision" Henderson. Both these guys make most fights in to very close affairs. Benson won. I don't even like him, but he did win the first fight (I don't think he won the 2nd but that fight never should have happened in the first place)

so the point is most of these fights should not have happened.

They get in the way of new contenders. (Pettis wound up waiting about 3 years for the shot he should have had immediately upon coming to the UFC as WEC champ because of years worth of uncalled for rematches. Grant waited and missed his chance at a shot, I think there was a rematch in there somewhere, maybe benson vs frankie II IIRC... )

Enough is enough... enough was enough a long long time ago.

jeff7b9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #48
Magooglie

Gold Belt

vCash: 137
I'd like a title holder to defend 3 times per year.

Magooglie is offline   Reply With Quote